Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what was needed - and product descriptions or pictures imprecise, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2013 (Sports)
I'm one of those "like to be prepared" people - always have on me a flashlight, multi-tool, sketchbooks, compact umbrella, and so on. Been using my excellent small bag (my "man sack") for a few years, with the only drawback being it's not waterproof - in heavy rain, I take a plastic bag (which I carry in the man sack) and put the bag in it to protect it.

All I really wanted was the same basic deal, but in waterproof form. This product seemed to fit the bill...but there were doubts. One reviewer stated that the flap does *not* go all the way across, leaving gaps where water just pours in (and now that I've seen the bag, the waterproofed *inside* would therefore fill up with water!). However, there were two different pages on Amazon of the exact same item, and the pictures were different:

[...]
In that one, you can see the flap doesn't go all the way across (in the tri-color I'd settled on - gunmetal/cement/algae green).

[...]
In that one, it *does* seem to cover the corners (in the same tri-color I picked).

I gave them the benefit of the doubt - maybe since that other reviewer complained, they'd fixed the problem (not hard, really - when I got the bag, I saw exactly where some simple extra stitching would be required).

As it turned out - nope. Still the "gap" problem. Which made it pretty useless in terms of waterproofing.

I was going to make do with it anyway, maybe stitch up the gaps myself, but after a couple of days the other negatives (various reviewers have mentioned some of them) caught up and I just wasn't at all happy with this thing. The drawbacks (from my perspective):

* The "memory strap" is clunky and uncomfortable;

* The clips for the top flap have *long* dangling straps that just get in the way (when *closed*!);

* The VelCro really does get as annoying as other reviewers have said;

* The bag doesn't flatten out as nicely as I'd expected it to (as my old one does) when loaded;

* The compartmentalization isn't as efficient as it could be (a lot of spots are hard to get in and out of when I just want one of my items quickly);

* Even though I got the "extra small" size, this thing is *huge*. I can understand that might be a "pro" (not a con) for some buyers, but my whole point in getting one of these is to have something *compact* but useful. If this is the "extra small," perhaps Timbuk2 needs to make an "extra extra small" for the folks who are looking for the same thing I'd like to find.

* And, of course, even though the material is waterproof, the bag - thanks to the poor design of the flap and opening (the stitching needed really is pretty obvious!) - is *not* waterproof. I'll be kind and say "water resistant," though even that term would lead you to expect that a product won't *fill up* with water (which this one most certainly will in the rain).

Ah, well. At least Amazon's got a great return policy. Thanks, Amazon - no thanks, Timbuk2.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011, 3:00:28 PM PST
G. Essex says:
Apparently the links don't get approved - funny, since BOTH links were to Amazon's own site. The "Insert a product link" button wasn't going to help here, because no matter what "version" (using the code numbers in the URL) of the product I tried, it gave me the same page, and the whole point there was that there were two *different* pages (with different photo sets) for the same product. Try to be a little more clever on vetting the links, Amazon.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 6:12:36 PM PDT
E. L. Fough says:
I think the x-small is a "bonus" size. These are messenger bags built for cyclists. X-small, to me, is made to fit the bill of someone who prefers messenger bags who also wants a really small one to replace a purse. In that sense, it is a largish purse, though not as large as some purses I've seen women carry!
Have you considered using some sort of dry bag like paddlers use? You might, if you are handy with thread and needle, be able to buy a simple dry bag, many of which have a "handle" on the bottom already and stitch a longer strap to the smaller handle (thereby not putting more holes in your dry bag.
You might also consider looking in true outdoor stores - ones that supply anglers and hunters. I have this feeling that a really small water resistant bag might be found there - or have you looked at camera cases?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012, 9:01:01 PM PST
G. Essex says:
So sorry I'd never even checked the comments on this! Thanks, E.L., for the tips. I did find a good alternative - Swiss Gear, again, like my old one, but this one is more water resistant (takes rain without a problem) and is an "across the body" shoulder strap.

But thanks very much for the info - I've been looking for some options, and those sound like good ideas to check into.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2014, 8:30:58 PM PST
P.K. Frary says:
The Timbuk2 Snoop Messengers have a small ear-like flap to cover the gaps on the ends of the main flap. Did a good job of repelling the tropical downpours I was just caught in.

Timbuk2 The Snoop Camera Messenger Bag 2013