Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, didn't last though., January 18, 2012
This review is from: Acoustic Research ARS28i Docking Station for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Electronics)
UPDATE: after nine months of use, this dock went on the fritz. First, the power light stopped illuminating, which was more of an inconvenience than a show-stopper. Soon after, it started displaying "this device is not supported by iPad" every time I plugged it in (it still charged so I ignored it). Finally, the volume buttons started malfunctioning on an intermittent basis, then my IPad's internal speakers would stop working every time I plugged it into the dock (had to reboot the iPad to fix it every time). The "cons" for my original review below made this a purchase to probably avoid, these latest developments make it a must-avoid.

I got this as a Christmas gift to dock my iPad. I have used it about a month now and there are several pros and cons for this dock:

PROs:
1. It is pretty compact, which is important to me since I keep it on my nightstand. Nice small footprint.
2. Sound is pretty good for a dock. If you are looking for super high audio quality though, this won't be a great choice. I use it mainly for viewing TV/Video stuff and for that the sound is fine.
3. The rotating feature makes it possible to use the iPad in both portrait and landscape format. The portrait version makes the dock even more compact, but you need the landscape for videos and TV. Simple push of a button rotates the section holding the iPad.
4. It came with mounting plates for original iPad, iPad2, iPod, and iPhone. You'd have to swap out the mounts each time you change devices though, so I don't bother and just leave the iPad mount on there all the time.
5. It charges the iPad when docked, which is convenient for overnight.

CONs:
1. When the iPad isn't on the dock, the thing looks pretty ugly sitting around. Ah well.
2. (And this is a BIGGIE): This item has a specific app from Acoustic Research, which loads a special "fancy" interface to your iPad to maximize functionality for this item. The app also activates the FM Radio feature which would probably allow me to get rid of my other clock radio. However, if you go to the app store to download it, you will see numerous comments from users that the current software version crashes their iPad and does not function correctly with the newest OS software. This software issue has apparently been a problem for about 6 months and yet Acoustic Research has not issued a new version. I chose not to download the app at all at this point, although I check the app store regularly to see if they have issued an update. So, I have no FM functionality with the dock.

Because of the software issues, I would not buy the dock at this price point. If it were cheaper OR if the software worked correctly, I would say it's a decent dock to replace your old clock radio with additional functionality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 8:37:13 AM PDT
musicfan says:
You are dinging the product because other people had problems so you didn't even try? Doesn't make sense. There could be a compatibility problem with the app and some other app that you don't even have. Or worse, the people could think it was this app when it is really something else. Bottom line, I would have tried the app and if I had a problem, uninstalled it and then dinged the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:11:26 AM PDT
Tyler says:
I tried the app, and it killed my dock. Ever since running FM mode in it ONE TIME, it no longer charges any of my devices. DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:04:23 AM PST
Allen M. says:
I bought one of these through a local retailer. It was a demo unit and "went on the fritz" per the OP comment. I took it back and got a brand new one from a different branch of the same store. It's worked well for 6-7 months but as of yesterday it's not functioning properly: The power LED doesn't light or at best, intermittent. I get the "this device not recognized" error when plugging in my iPad3. I heard scratchy sounds that almost sound like electrical sparking as the dock rotates 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal. I suspect a mechanical failure in the cable from the internal electronics to the 30-pin Apple connector. So, I'm going to send it for warranty repair! SIGH!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›