Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Printer I've Ever Owned, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One (4502B017) (Office Product)
This printer is great, I did a lot of research and decided to try it. I have never owned a better printer. It connected to my home WiFi and every device in my house (including my iPhone and my wife's iPad) can print to it. Pages print at blazing speed, and I can load both photo paper and regular paper at the same time and it automatically selects the correct media. Photos are gorgeous and text is super black and crisp. Push a button on the printer and it makes a copy or sends a file to my PC. I tried printing from my camera's memory card and that was super easy, the color LCD leaves no doubt about which photo is printing. It is beautiful to look at, although I'm sure it will need a lot of dusting (it is glossy black).

I bought this printer because my one-year old HP quit printing photos after I upgraded to Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I decided to give Canon a try. I will never buy another HP again. I liked their print quality, but they "abandon" you with driver support way too fast. Plus this Canon is easily 4x faster. And for $149, well what is there to complain about? I cannot comment on the ink usage, since I just got it, but I will update this review after a couple of months use.

Bye, bye HP, hello Canon!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2010 4:43:56 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Great review! I agree 100%.

Here is another feature that surprised me. I forgot that the lid to the printer was closed when I hit print and thought for sure I was going to have a paper jam. It did not happen. The lid automatically folded down producing my crisp documents.

I also have a HP wireless; however, it does not print from the internet and I am constantly having to get updates to remove the numerous bugs that make it freeze up. That's not the case with the Cannon.

This is a great product and your review absolutely nailed it. Great job.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 11:22:26 PM PDT
Edward Van says:
So any word on how the ink usage is, like how long the cartridges last and how much ink is wasted? Could you also tell us if what you're using is genuine ink or an compatible ink. I'm thinking about buying this printer, so some feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 6:38:35 AM PDT
Swany says:
I'm still using the genuine Canon ink that came packed with the printer. I've printed about 25-30 borderless 4x6 snapshots (mostly people outdoors) and about 50 pages of printed text. There are five cartridges, four have a part number that starts with "CLI" the "C", "M", & "Y" are all right at 50%, the "K" is still at 100%. The other black (part number starts with "PGI") is below the warning line, I'd estimate it is below 10% full.

My impression is that this printer is pretty good on ink usage for photos, but satisfactory on black text. One thing I have seen in the past is that the cartridges that ship with a printer have less ink than those you buy. Manufacturers do this to save money, but I think it is a mistake because it may cause the customer to have a poor initial printing experience. I am not sure if Canon does this or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 1:05:05 AM PDT
mof says:
I am having grinding like sound when it is turned on, before copying and scanning but not before printing. Is that normal? Or mine is defective. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 12:32:07 PM PDT
JJ says:
Completely agreed.

I used HP before too. That was until several years ago when HP printer suddenly wanted to stop working on me. Printer quality was awful compared to canon.

I use MP560 and MG5220 both. They're both great qualities. I always suggest using the generic ink than some cheap inks. They usually last longer and print in better quality. It's worth it.

Canon wins in printer industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 2:33:47 PM PDT
Swany says:
Mine makes a grinding sound too, but seems to work OK, so I'd say it is normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 7:46:56 AM PDT
BetsyR says:
Using "generic" ink? What brand(s) do you recommend?
thx
...or perhaps you mean to use only Canon inks?

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 9:11:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2010 9:16:26 AM PDT
Sh8un says:
I will never go back to HP again. Sorry HP, i had it with your products. (Printers). So far i purchased 21 computer and 7-8 printer from HP. (17 pcs for office and 4 for home use) since 1994. Every single printer had issue. My point is When you get used to one brand sometimes is not wise.
Welcome to Canon era. Quality, look, price. Canon is a winner.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 8:57:30 AM PDT
Dan Zhu says:
should be normal

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 10:15:40 PM PST
Betty says:
I am shopping to replace an HP printer that is only 3 months old seems like I have been spending half of my life with tech support and getting no support. Like a fool I was looking at another HP and decided to check out reviews on other brands and models. Glad to see my HP issues were shared by others. My HP was selected by someone else for me. Not purchased from Amazon Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›