on July 30, 2013
I came across this book as I was sorting through books for our county book sale. It was published in 1918 and is the story of Pat O'Brien, an American aviator who joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1917 before we entered WWI. His account of how he was shot down twice by the Germans and his escape from a German prison camp is absolutely fascinating - no, riveting. I could not put it down and, because it's not a long book, finished it in one evening. More interesting still, he wrote it only months after returning to the US so did not use any of the names or places he'd been in fear of retaliation on those who helped him. He gave valuable information to the British and US about what he'd seen happening, the state of the German Army, what they ate, where they slept and much more we don't know about because it was classified. He also gives us a look at what it was like to fly one of the primitive airplanes they used at that time.

The book that I read was a first edition and had photos of several important events, his plane, his fake passport. It's too bad that more people don't read these old books, although this one is still in print and is an eBook as well.

His life after his escape is almost as interesting as the escape. There's a lot written about him, and his story ends sadly, but I'll let you discover that yourself
One person found this helpful
11 comment Report abuse Permalink