Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 21, 2011
In my 40 years of amateur photography, this is my first experience with a neoprene flexible case. I find it a great addition to the heavier hardshell leather cases and large camera kit bags that I also use with my micro 4/3 camera equipment.

First, I should clarify what type camera this bag fits: The Amazon ad correctly states in the "Technical Details" section of the ad that it fits the Panasonic Lumix GF1 with my 14-42mm zoom lens, my 14-45mm zoom lens, and my 20mm "pancake" lens. (I believe it will also fit the Gf2 and upcoming GF3, which are slightly smaller than the FG1.) However, the Amazon ad states incorrectly in the top title and elsewhere in the ad that it fits the DMC-G3 / DMC-GH2 / DMC-G2. I tried to fit my DMC-G2 and DMC-GH1 camera bodies (without lens) into this bag, and those camera bodies were too large. I hope the ad will be corrected to say GF1/GF2/GF3 with attached lenses up through the size of the 14-45mm zoom.

Now, back to the bag, itself. It appears extremely well made, and likely to hold up to regular use. The seams are well stitched and there are no sloppy or excess cuttings. There is a convenient external zip pocket for extra memory cards and other tiny items. Another reviewer found that it was not easy getting the camera in and out of the case. I found it took only a few seconds to remove the camera, and a few seconds longer to reinsert... comparable to other cases I've used over the years.

The case's main opening uses 2 snaps, rather than velcro, and I prefer the snaps. There is a sufficient small gap on the sides to pass through a camera strap, attached to your camera, to carry the enclosed camera on your shoulder. The case is extremely lightweight, and appears to offer at least limited water resistance, if not waterproof. The neoprene cushioning is not thick, but it is dense, and provides a decent first line of defense against dust, dirt, nicks, scratches, and light bumps. It is not so thick as to protect against drops on a cement floor.

This is not an "everready"-style case that would allow you to snap off a top half to quickly take photos, while a bottom half remains screwed into a tripod mount. This is a storage case from which you remove the camera to take photos. The case has a narrow belt loop that opens via velcro; a tag warns that this belt loop is meant only for storing the case while you are holding and shooting the camera... the belt loop is not strong enough to support carrying the camera in the case attached to your trouser belt.

I should mention that I find this to be an attractive case I'm happy to be seen with, given the dark gray color and quality of construction. In conclusion, the extreme lightness and "first line of defense" protectiveness of this case will make it my main carry-along case for walking about with my Panasonic Lumix GF1.
22 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?