Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for the kiddies or the musically 'unexperienced;' otherwise, avoid., January 2, 2011
I bought this because I needed a smallish keyboard to fiddle with while I'm hanging out in my den, or maybe on my bed, to figure out songs and chords and possibly do some writing. I thought I was getting an instrument. When I opened the box, I realized I purchased a toy. A very nice toy, mind you, for an 8 year old or younger, and I mean that. No older than 8 years old.

In the late 1970s, my parents bought me a Casio VL-Tone, what most of us called "the Casiotone," (albeit, incorrectly) which was the very first mini keyboard. To call it a "keyboard" would be a misnomer as it didn't have keys; it had buttons. It was more of a sampler, primitive and awkward to use. I also remember it was quite expensive for the time; about $65. As a musician, to me it was an expensive toy. The sounds were OK; nothing to write home about as far as replicating REAL instruments, but considering it was so small, and the technology was so new, it seemed pretty amazing at the time.

Well, folks, Casio hasn't come too far since, at least with this product. The piano sounds are not much better than that old VL-Tone. The drums, cymbals and other instruments seem significantly better, as they are probably sampled (I never use those things) but I judge a piano by how much it sounds like ... well, a piano. The volume isn't that great, there are no outputs, and everything is rubbery plastic and appears cheap. And I accidentally touched the "digital" display with my finger and couldn't read it for a few minutes.

Bottom line: For just a little more than twice the price (paying $100 for a keyboard in this day and age isn't outrageous) you can get yourself a really nice Yamaha. I recommend the Yamaha YPT-220 61 Keyboard. It's quite lovely. Larger and heavier, but at least it's an instrument. Sadly, the Casio SA-76 is a $70 44-key toy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2011, 5:29:39 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011, 6:51:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 3, 2011, 5:51:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011, 10:08:22 AM PDT
Pookerella says:
No, you're the only stupid person who obviously knows nothing about keyboards. Better keep reviewing water. It seems to be the only thing in which you know anything about. And btw, I would like you to show me a performer live, on TV or elsewhere with the words CASIO on their keyboard. But you sure see YAMAHA quite often. I'm sure there is a "Musical Instruments for Dummies" book you could find somewhere, because you're obviously neither a musician, nor anyone who has any musical knowledge whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 9:05:50 PM PDT
Awesome. Anyways, quick question, since you seem to know something about keyboards. Is this keyboard pressure sensitive? As in, if I press harder, will the sound be louder? I'd assume not, as I'd expect that to be a highly toted feature. I just need a decent quality keyboard with NO pressure sensitivity for a project I'm working on. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 9:13:12 PM PDT
Pookerella says:
No it's not. You mean like a real piano? No essentially, it's a high-end toy for beginners.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011, 9:25:01 AM PST
V says:
Thanks for the review! I'm about to purchase this for my 5-year-old and having owned a "Casiotone" myself as a child I know this is exactly what I'm looking for. Interesting you brought up the age of 8 as the limit - that's the age when I passed my Casiotone on and got a full-size keyboard eventually graduating to an upright piano by age 11 or so.

I also wanted to thank you a million times over for referencing the Casiotone - for the life of me I couldn't remember the name or model number of that awesome little Casio keyboard I had as a child and now I know. XD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011, 1:36:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011, 1:36:59 PM PST
A. John says:
Quick question for you as well. My 7yr old autistic son needs a keyboard for one of his music class that his school is offering in January 2012, and I'm searching for something that's relatively inexpensive and not too big. I noticed that you said no older than 8 which he turns in November 2012, so would you still recommend me getting this or is there something else that you would recommend for him? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011, 2:06:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011, 2:06:58 PM PST
Pookerella says:
I think it would be fine for him. It's small and light with shorter keys than a normal keyboard. It's orange, too; kids like colorful things. I was being a little sarcastic with the age limit comment, but what I really meant was that this item should be a student's very first "realistic" keyboard, as it looks like it's for children, but you can play real music with it.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012, 7:58:39 PM PST
So many reviewers at Amazon criticize an item, saying there are plenty of better ones out there, without telling you what they are. So thank you for suggesting an alternative! We are free to investigate and decide, but it's very nice to have some helpful direction!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 10:21:41 AM PST
michibilly says:
Where to begin..... Well, this keyboard is $50 and not $70, but is worth $70 anyway. Next, is a Yamaha 61-key heavier and more expensive keyboard really a substitute for this one? Uh... nope. Many people are buying these as beginner keyboards for kids to entertain them and maybe get them interested in music, but some of us just want it to pick out tunes from pretty much anywhere and want something really small and portable. The Yamaha 61-key is neither. I already have a Korg electric piano, but I just wanted something to haul around to work on songs, and this thing is perfect for that. For serious players or students, probably not a great option to learn on a keyboard with non-standard size keys.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›