BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on August 27, 2010
I bought this product for a Windows XP box about 1 month ago. Installation was very easy.
Initially all I was getting was only getting 65 Mbps despite a strong signal. I contacted support and the first reply wasn't too helpful but then another support agent send me this:

Some 802.11n routers give you the option to adjust the bandwidth of the 2.4Ghz channel
you are broadcasting. Make sure your width is set to 40MHz or "Auto". If it is set to 20MHz it will limit your speed to 65Mbps.
If you are only connecting to your router using 802.11n devices, be sure to set your router to "N only" so you are not compromising your speed for 802.11b or 802.11g devices.

Turns out my Dlink Dir-655 was set to the 20MHz. After switching "Transmission Rate" to "Auto 20/40 MHz" I can consistently get link speeds of 135 Mbps and often 150 Mbps.
My router is about 35 feet away going through 1 wall.

Apparently the medialink website will be updated with a better support page. This information was not easily available in early August.

Other notes... Not sure what happened but my wireless adapter was not working.
Typing 'ipconfig' on my computer printed nothing. After re-installing the drivers the system was back to normal. I am not sure what cuased the drivers to get messed up...

I found out the usb adapter doesn't turn on until you logon to the system directly. A minor annoyance if I want to remote desktop to that box after powering it on. I don't think a PCI adapter will have this issue.

Overall, a great product for the price.
11 comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?