Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

on March 1, 2012
The Panasonic glasses are getting hard to find, and you pay a premium for them (full MSRP, $100) when you do find them. The PlayStation 3 3D Glasses are half the price, so I gave them a shot first. Later, I bought two lightly-used Panasonic glasses (the 3rd gen glasses in this review) from a friend, so now I have both to compare.

So I now I have two pairs of the PlayStation 3 3D Glasses, and two pairs of these 3rd generation Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs (Medium). I have a normal guy-sized head, and my wife has a very small, nearly child-size, female head.

I use them with my 2011 model year Panasonic 65ST30 plasma TV. We both wear the 3D glasses over our regular eyeglasses, no problems with either type.

For me, the Playstation glasses were noticeably, but not overly objectionably, heavy. For my wife, she was complaining about the weight of the Playstation glasses shortly after the 1.5 hour mark. She made it through the movie, and wasn't thrilled by the glasses. She was willing to wear them again, but again, not overly thrilled by them. This is not an observation on the function of the glasses, which worked perfectly, just the comfort for HER on HER face, mostly a matter of her small head and tiny nose holding up a fairly beefy set of glasses. I definitely noticed the Playstation glasses on my face, but they didn't really bother me.

Then we tried these Panasonic 3rd Gen glasses which I acquired later. My wife LOVES them. VERY lightweight... you barely know they're on. I'm a big fan as well. We did do a comparison (A/B testing throughout an entire movie), comparing the real 3D functionality of the real Panasonic 3rd Gen glasses and the Playstation glasses, and from a purely functional standpoint, there was zero difference that either of us could detect. The Panasonics remained much more comfortable due to their light weight, but both showed the same 3D picture. I thought the Panasonics might show a brighter picture, because the tint on the lenses doesn't seem as dark as the Sony's, but in use, again, we couldn't tell a difference.

I'm glad I have my Panasonic glasses, and will use them every time, of the two, but I'll keep the Playstation glasses on hand for guests. If a guest is too uncomfortable (and I like them!) I have no issue giving up my Pannys for the Sonys, since the the visuals are the same. If I didn't have the Panasonics, I'd be reasonably content with the Sony glasses.

Note that the Sony glasses come with a microfiber sleeve, which is nice. I wish the Panasonics did, because now I'm going to have to buy some separately, or risk those increasingly-hard-to-find glasses getting scratched.
11 comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.