Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars I owe everything to this book, December 16, 2004
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich!: The Original Version, Restored and Revised (Paperback)
I was introduced to "Think and Grow Rich!" by an alcoholic member of our cemetery sales team. I had a wife and three children at the time, and we were just barely making it. My only source of income was the commissions I made knocking on doors selling cemetery property, and they were hard to come by, especially since almost nobody was a permanent resident in the Miami area.

Reading "Think and Grow Rich!" gave me a crutch to lean on as I forced myself out to pound those doors where the potential prospects were. If my family was going to eat, I had to convince people to buy cemetery property 30 or 40 or more years before they would need it. The Six-Step Success Formula the book contains helped me to realize that there was a way even for an uneducated lunkhead like me to make it like the big guys. I followed the success formula faithfully, and, lo and behold, my whole life turned around.

Two of my most useful tools in the book are the poem "My Wage" ("I bargained with Life for a penny...") and "If You Think You Are Beaten" ("Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man..."). I truly believe that Dr. Hill has the same message the Bible has for us. It was just little easier for me to apply. I went on to build the largest cemetery organization in the country starting out from my basement on Concord Avenue in Anderson, S. C. In 1970, we sold 30 cemeteries to Service Corporation International, making it possible for them to become the largest funeral-cemetery company in the world. I served as President of their Cemetery Division for three years.

I'm now 82 years old, living comfortably on the shores of Lake Hartwell with my wife of 62 years. Almost all my good fortune came about because I had the good fortune to be introduced to "Think and Grow Rich!" in 1953. (This new addition is actually closer to the one I read back then. The versions sold since the 1960s omit a lot of material that Ross Cornwell has put back in.) I have given away many cases of this great book. It was required reading in my company and in my family, and it has made a difference in a lot of the people's lives who were given the opportunity to make it part of their lives.

Thank you, Ross Cornwell, for this wonderful "added value" new edition of the book that has meant everything to me -- and for giving me this opportunity to look back and appreciate how really important all of this is and what a difference it has made in my life and the lives of so many others.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2008, 1:38:39 PM PST
Johnny H says:
Amazing review, incredible story. Thank you!

When I make it, I'll post a similar one... Notice I said "when" not "if"!

Posted on May 18, 2008, 6:54:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 2, 2009, 10:50:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 17, 2008, 12:18:06 AM PDT
aipuo says:

Posted on Sep 14, 2008, 10:22:01 AM PDT
THE REVIEW BUY R O HERBERT IS FOR THE BOOK ISBN1593302002 THINK AND GROW RICH THE ORIGINAL VERSION RESTORED AND REVISED THIS SHOULD BE CHANGED

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009, 6:09:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 18, 2012, 8:38:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011, 5:59:50 AM PDT
T. King says:
@aipuo,
Good point you make here. reading a book won't make a difference in someones life. But applying the principles outlined in this book will have an effect. Big difference.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012, 4:19:11 PM PST
Think and Grow Rich is a Must Read Classic, I read it once a year! (I am a slow learner).
Another book worth reading Get Rich (How to Get Rich Without a College Education)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 5:59:28 AM PST
Thanks for the amazing review!

Posted on Aug 9, 2012, 11:30:47 AM PDT
C. Ekeke says:
Thanks for your comment Mr Herbert. I have not yet completed reading the book but from what I have read so far almost all of his principles appear to be based on the bible. For me that's the most important thing as I try as much as possible to live my life based on biblical truths.

Posted on Oct 4, 2014, 5:28:14 PM PDT
vicka says:
Wonderful story. Thank you for sharing and many more healthy years to you and your family.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›