Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars The Irish Banana Review, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Defiance (Defiance Trilogy) (Hardcover)
I think it's safe to say that Defiance has been on everyone's must-have list for the last few months. Call it an amazing cover or a wholly original idea, but whatever it is, Defiance seems to have that intrinsic it factor that gets people buzzing early on, especially surrounding a debut author. CJ Redwine storms onto the YA scene and takes us hostage with this book. Yeah, this one lives up to all the hype--it's that good.

From the first few haunted moments when I was introduced to Rachel, I felt an immediate sympathy for her. She was so strong, but so very much a teenage girl in an impossible world. I felt a strong kinship to this girl and her plight. I loved rooting for her. Rachel, and Logan, are two of my favorite characters in the fiction realm. I couldn't get enough of these two, both together and separate.

The book alternates chapters between their points of view, which only enhances the storyline. I've read several back-and-forth POV books. Some work, some muddle through, and some are flat out painful. This book excels. I usually find myself skimming on character's chapters to get back to the other's (my favorite's) part, but there was no rush here. I loved Logan and Rachel equally and both had such vital roles, I was compelled to read them with equal voracity.

My only fault with the book was that it takes a decidedly dark turn. I'm still not sure how I felt about that, and I hesitate to expand on that because I don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say, one character goes darkside and I wasn't sure Redwine would be able to pull that character back in time. I still feel a bit uneasy about it.

Overall, this is a must read for YA fans. I don't care if you grab it for the fantasy elements, the romance, or just out of curiosity. Redwine is a spectacular storyteller, and her world-building skills are flat out impressive, as is her ability to write and develop characters. This is one 2012 debut you won't want to miss.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 11:43:35 AM PDT
I'd love to hear more about the dark turn in the book, if you wouldn't mind sharing it? Just flag it "Spoilers!!" for anyone else reading. This book really sounds good but I'm nervous about how dark it gets...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:39:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 2:41:21 PM PDT
Sure thing, Katherine!

!!SPOILERS!!!!

Basically the "dark" turn is that the main character, Rachel becomes very ruthless - as in she's justyifying murder and her thoughts are very primitive and, well, DARK. There's a point where something happens to her and she sort of shuts herself off from her emotions. It's very angsty and edgy, but it made me feel a bit disconnected from the character I'd come to love.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 11:09:14 AM PDT
Thanks. Hmm. That is a little uncomfortable. But since you still love the book, I'll probably check it out. How cliffhangery is the ending?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 9:05:10 AM PDT
Honestly? Not that bad. It definitely is book one of a trilogy, but the storyline of Defiance is ended nicely. I kind of felt like the curtain was being dropped on act 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 9:06:58 AM PDT
Perfect! I'm snatching up a copy then! That's how series should work!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›