Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

998 of 1,042 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the Five Stars, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White (Kitchen)
I'm an enthusiastic amateur cook. Some might say I'm an advanced cook. Whatever.

I've had a number of food processors over the years. Just a few factoids are pertinent here:

* My first FP was an original Cuisinart 7-cup model. I just tossed it out because the bowl finally broke and I didn't want to replace just the bowl at this point. Why? Because I bought the original over 30 years ago! In thirty years of hard use, only one minor part failure. I'd say that original was pretty durable.

* There's Cuisinart and there are 'all others.' In thinking over my experiences, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than a Cuisinart. Especially after reading the numerous reviews on Amazon.

So, I bought a new original -- now called 'Classic,' like Coke -- 7-cup model. And, like Coke, they've changed enough of the product design so that they couldn't call it the 'old' Cuisinart. So it's a 'Classic.' OK.

What are the evolutions in the last 30 years and, more importantly, are they worth it? Here are the ones I can see:

* The steel chopping blade -- the workhorse of the unit -- has changed slightly in its shape. This is no doubt for the best.

* The switch is now a single, double-duty switch instead of two separate controls. One way for 'constant on,' and the other way for 'pulse.' An improvement, both in functionality and manufacturing cost.

* The motor sounds different, presumably because it's both better AND cheaper to make. Also, not having ripped the unit apart to see for myself, I believe that it's also because the controls have been replaced with a solid-state switching mechanism. This is also for the better.

* I've saved the best for last. Cuisinart has included in this model a bowl cover that is simply a flat plate with a hole in it that allows the user to simply drop, drip, or drizzle ingredients into the bowl at will, without having to juggle the three-piece feed tube arrangement. Now, the feed-tube system is lovely for slicing and shreeding, but it always requires cleaning each part every time it's used. So this new, additional cover is a boon to the cook, who might well use it, as I do, about 90 percent of the time I use the processor. Thanks, Cuisinart. You've read my thoughts.

Anyway, the device is also good for all the right reasons. It's functional, well-designed, and well-made. It's called 'classic' because it is. It's stood the test of time for me and thousands of other customers.

I expect to have this processor for the next 30 years. At that point, I'll be 93 years old and probably require a juicer, not a food processor, to prepare my meals. The juicer will probably be a Cuisinart, too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2011 10:52:05 AM PST
Sharon Smith says:
LOL.

Posted on May 25, 2011 9:44:57 PM PDT
Thank you for a wonderfully thorough review.

Posted on May 30, 2012 1:24:12 AM PDT
Amanda says:
I too thank you for your comprehensive freview. I was trying to decided bteween this 7 cup model and DLC 2007N model.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 7:36:43 AM PDT
R. sills says:
I love the sense of humor about the juicer!

Posted on May 15, 2013 5:45:38 PM PDT
Tessa89 says:
Excellent review and a hilarious read, too! Good job!

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 11:55:52 AM PDT
SK says:
best review I've ever read, informative and humorous.

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 9:21:23 PM PDT
Darthmullet says:
I'd say there's Robot Coupe and then all others, but Cuisinart is certainly good for the price.

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 3:46:39 PM PDT
Backbutton says:
Great review. I just put my mother's unused DLC-10E on eBay--I don't think she ever used it, looks brand new--hmm, given your review, maybe I should keep it--but I am a son, not a gal.

I would say that they don't make things like they used to, and I wonder if the current model you got will last 30 years. Nothing is built like it was now, even a Mercedes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2014 5:41:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2014 5:41:45 PM PDT
Erika says:
@Backbutton - I'd say keep the food processor, unless you have absolutely no need for it (regardless of gender... it's a helpful device in so many ways, if you do any cooking at all). When I moved out of state, I left all of my small appliances behind, thinking my new home and my boyfriend would have his. Well... I've been kicking both of us for lack of forethought on bringing my food processor. We both use 2-3 other devices for cooking and food making needs that one food processor would handle. I think the only reason I didn't bring mine along was that it was a "cheap" machine... Although, I admit I used it for a good third of my cooking! :)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 6:17:46 PM PST
Jack Straw says:
In 30 years, robots will prepare all your meals.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›