Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Dead Redemption? Yes!!!, December 24, 2011
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
When Red Dead Redemption came out I wasn't very interested, it looked like GTA in western times to me. Well that was an incredible mistake but one I am glad I made, why? Well you see, I do not have Xbox LIVE and therefore I can not get any DLC for any game I own and since the Game of the Year Edition comes with all the DLC already there it just made it that more great for me! The reason I finally bought the game was because it came with Undead Nightmare and I LOVE zombies, I could have bought the DLC alone but I decided the actual game wouldn't hurt since the DLC might be pretty short.

The Story:
The story for Red Dead Redemption blew me away John Marston (The main character) is an excellent and well made character who seems to always be in the middle of the right or wrong path. He is sent to hunt down his old gang members from when he was an outlaw in exchange for his family that the government has kidnapped. While it may sound simple at first you will soon see that it is nothing close to being easy. I expected the story to bore me, believing that the game would be more focused about sandbox environment and free roam rather than the story, boy was I wrong! This is now my favorite game, John Marston is a wonderful character that I absolutely love, I know I didn't touch much on the story but I am trying to be as spoiler free as possible.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is awesome, I also had a "meh" expectation for the gameplay because it takes place in the west so I thought I'd be using a gun or two but once again I was wrong. There are so many different weapons they all feel different in their own way, the options of weaponry let you have the option of choosing how to approach certain situations for example, you may go into an area with your guns blazing and just take an all out offensive on your enemy or you can lasso them and bring them back to the town to face what they have done. There is also some knives and throwing weapons that can be used for stealth attacks, though I didn't really seem to go into that part of the gameplay much since your usually out in the open and the general enemy would be a tad difficult to stealth kill.

Visuals/Audio:
The game looks amazing, each area has it's own unique look and there isn't a sudden abrupt change, as you move from one area to the next you'll notice the land slowly becoming more similar to the next area, the animals in the game (that you have the option of hunting and skinning so you can make a few bucks) are so much fun and there are so many animals to see and/or hunt. Some may be docile and flee while others may be aggressive and attack you, some animals will even pretend to flee and return when you have your back turned or with a group and attack you. Lets get to sound, now.. Usually I don't pay much mind to the sound, it's there but there is never anything that pops out to me personally. But this game has an amazing soundtrack, and even the sound effects of certain actions are awesome! The voice actors are incredible, the animals are realistic and the music just pulls it all together in a beautiful looking game.

DLC:
The reason I bought the game.. Well, I will admit that the DLC is very fun but I am very glad I didn't purchase it alone because I would have missed out on such an amazing story in the main game and the DLC did in fact feel very short (To me anyway) There are also DLC costume and weapon packs that are already in the game, so that was fun too but I'll focus more on Undead Nightmare here. The zombies are.. Well.. Zombies! I was so pleased to find out that only fire or a head shot could kill them, shooting them in the arm, chest, leg, or anywhere besides the head will not kill them! Isn't that awesome?! I actually found myself not really using guns because it was so much fun to get close up and smack them on the side of the head with a tomahawk. The story is good, not as good as the main one. What sticks out in this is definitely the gameplay, not only do you get to fight zombies but you also get new weapons that you can't get in the main game! Also the animals can become undead which I found to be a nice touch, an added bonus to having animals becoming undead is that your horse can become undead also! My horse was killed by a small horde of zombies and once I whistled it returned to me looking like it had been dead and chewed on. The Undead horse has unlimited stamina but is also a bit more difficult to control as it sometimes will try to steer in its own direction rather than yours. There are also a few mythical creatures in the game that I will let you find out about for yourself.

Pros:
Gameplay, story, visuals and audio is great!
DLC comes free already in the game so you don't need Xbox LIVE
Free Roam + Sandbox environment, what's not to love?

Cons:
Minor bugs and glitches
There is a Multiplayer aspect of the game but I wasn't able to even play it because it requires Xbox LIVE, so keep that in mind.
Now I don't want to scare anyone from this product, it is indeed awesome but personally I had a game freeze a few times, they were NOT often and only happened about three or four times and my game or console was not harmed by it in anyway.

Overall:
If you like westerns, free roam, huge areas for gameplay or anything like that, BUY THIS NOW. It is a great game and in my opinion it is well worth the price since you don't need internet access to get the DLC.

P.S. This is my first review, I apologize if I wasn't very good, I tried my best and just wanted to let everyone know how much I LOVE this game! Have fun!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2012 5:00:51 AM PST
i totally felt the same way about this game when i first heard of it. i came to it by chance while browsing old rockstar titles. i do have xbox live and some of their DLC but i do not find Undead Nightmare interesting. As for the main story it is just so good. i felt like i was reading a novel while i was playing the game. the soundtrack, the environment, the amazing night sky, this is truly one of rockstar's best games

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 6:54:32 PM PST
Ari says:
hopefully we get a sequel after gta 5

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 3:27:33 PM PST
J. McGuire says:
Good job MetalHeadDarylDead,

One thing you could have added was which/how many of the DLC is in the GOTY ED.? Because theres the Undead Nightmare as one packs and then I think 3 or 4 MP DLC packs as well. That said most of the time though if it's a GOTY-Edition it usually means (all the DLC) is included. But again for your first review, not bad, not bad at all keep it up!!! Happy gaming!

Posted on May 7, 2012 3:19:16 PM PDT
Red Panda says:
I appreciate you keeping it spoiler free. I just picked up the game yesterday and have hardly gotten started yet. I agree with J. McGuire's comment about "which DLC." You said "all" the DLC is included, but on XBOX Live, that amounts to about 40 separate downloads, from outfits, to skins, map packs, mission packs, etc..

I want to add one thing (rather than write my own review) - I really hate sandbox games. I want to love them, because they do look fun, but I get sidetracked very easily and never know what I'm supposed to do. I own GTA 4, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Bully, Fable 2, Assassin's Creed, and Fallout 3, and have made ZERO progress in any of them. This game has a different feel. Maybe it's more personable? I don't know. I just know that I suck at sandbox games and it doesn't take long for me to give up on them, but RDR is much more enthralling. Keeps my attention despite the fact that most of the people I try to save end up dying. Oh well.

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:37:21 PM PDT
Thank you for stating you don't need Live to access the DLC! This is just what I needed to know before getting this edition of the game :D Awesome review overall, thanks for keeping it spoiler-free!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 8:18:37 AM PDT
Pete.E says:
I read it later your review and if I could add awesome and honest I wish more people wrote reviews like yours instead of trying to be super critics and get on vine for free stuff...thanks nice now I'm gonna buy it!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:01:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 5:02:50 AM PDT
JonA says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:12:09 AM PDT
The Undead Nightmare DLC was released for retail, you can buy it without buying the main game. You can look it up online, the cover for the Undead Nightmare DLC has a zombie holding a gun instead of John Marston.

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 12:03:41 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Is anyone else having trouble with the second game disc? It just makes noise in the system tray with a blank screen. Defective?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 3:21:58 PM PDT
Is the disc scratched up at all? If not and all your other games work fine then I would assume your second disc is defective unfortunatly.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›