Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

2.0 out of 5 stars Not just a bad GoW game, simply just a bad game., July 3, 2013
This review is from: PS3 God of War: Ascension (Video Game)
Please note I am so disappointed with this game I haven't even gotten through it yet, therefore there may be things I comment on that simply haven't happened yet. Still...

I would have given this game one star, but all the thought-out reviews seem to be under two stars (not just - "it's glitchy"), so I'll add my voice here. Like many, I am a huge series fan. I own and have played them all. My girlfriend bought me the "pre-order" for my birthday before the game was even out, so I had the anticipation of it coming. While I got it when it came out I only got a chance to load it up and play just recently. Wow, what a disappointment.

There was another 2-star reviewer who went into great depths to outline what's wrong with this game. That reviewer is right in every single way, so I'll defer to him. A couple things I thought were left out in the rant: If you're really going to do a prequel, why not go WAY back and be there when Kratos was earning his battle stripes, maybe some game play/cut scenes revolving around spending time with his still-alive family, play with other weapons BEFORE he gets his blades, before the red body paint/markings, etc.? Really find out what made him a great warrior and bring out the human element - sort of like Russel Crowe/Gladiator style. That at least would have made the game totally different and interesting and you would have had a heart-wrenching story line. As the reviewer said, you don't really know where, what, why, etc? So this prequel is somewhere between the first and second GoW? Either that, or what, you've sworn your blood oath to Ares, then broken it, and he tricked you and killed your family, or is about to, but you haven't jumped off the cliff which begins the first game? Who knows? I realized several hours in that I really had no idea what the story was, what I was trying to accomplish, and that I was simply bored, just going through the motions.

Number two - this is the one that really made me have to speak out. Part of what we love about GoW is exploring, to as much as degree as possible. This game is very...forced. What I mean is you are really pushed forward through the game. Not only is it nearly impossible to simply look around, but a ton of the game revolves around climbing and grappling, sliding/surfing, etc., it's very easy to activate the climb/grapple,slide/surf and once you do you can't go back. Awesome. Why would you build that into a game that your seasoned players know is built around hiding chests that help you build your character. To make matters worse, there are even times when you can see the chests you missed, but can't go back and get them. So what do we have to do? Restart! I restarted this game so many times just to go back and get a chest that I saw but couldn't get back to. Then the best happened. I was so tired of the frequent auto-saves, that I continued my game turning it off. The game warned me, but I went ahead anyway. I figured you could manually save, or would have some option at some point. Wrong! I literally spent hours playing this game only to have to go back and repeat those hours because there is no way to save it other than auto save. Seriously?! So either you miss things constantly and can't go back, or play without auto save and have to repeat play. That is absolute game failure 101. Completely unacceptable, especially for a franchise like this.

Battle - most reviewers have detailed the problems with battles and I agree, One note: I'm a HUGE fighting game fan - own two pro fight sticks, nearly every fighting game - grew up on the stuff, love it. In many of those games (I'll use Street Fighter as my example) your "rage" meter to perform special moves goes UP when you get hit, as if a) you're getting more pissed off from being hit, and b) as a way of leveling the playing field when you're getting your a** beat - like "here, see if this leg up helps you to not lose to your opponent".

(review edited 7_23_13)
I decided to delete some of my harshest comments. I will agree with any reviewer who has said the first half of the game is completely forgettable. It did get quite a bit better in the second half and I was pretty into it near the end (maybe just simply out of hours invested), but I was literally mentally checked out the first half. I really think SM Studios missed a great opportunity with this game. Before it even existed I thought it would be cool if we went back to the past when it all began and learn about Kratos. But instead I think I realized by the end - contrary to some of the summaries - unless I'm wrong, this game would be somewhere before the first game, at the point where Kratos decides he doesn't want to keep his oath to Aries. I think they should have gone way back before that, but it's too late for that now. Besides, what more is there to learn about Kratos anyway? The real charm and allure was getting to play-live out Greek mythology. We're passed that now and just making up a story line and sometimes really grasping at straws just to keep it going. I would be tempted to not buy any future releases, if they even come out.

Others are saying "buyer beware" or "rent before buy", I'm just hoping someone at Santa Monica Studios is reading these reviews; it's for them. Time for a little SM Studio "redemption" if you ask me. Or just call it a day and hang up the franchise.

P.S. once I starting watching the extras videos it was clear the the direction from the top down at SM Studios was "Multiplayer, multiplayer, multiplayer..." all the way. I'm sure that the first person story game suffered a bit as the resources were spent on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

[Add comment]