Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars A Few Bugs In Bogart, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Humphrey Bogart: The Essential Collection (DVD)
This is a great collection for the avid or passing Bogart fan. Price, picture and extras are all first rate...

BUT...I just purchased this set in Canada and noticed two of my discs were missing content and one movie wasn't even included. Here's what I found:

Disc 2: Dark Victory / Virginia City - This set uses double-sided DVDs. The Dark Victory side is missing the commentary track by James Ursini & Paul Clinton, as well as the Featurette 1939: Tough Competition for Dark Victory listed on the box. There might be more content missing because the menu doesn't match. It also starts right into the movie without the menu coming up first like it should. (You have to stop the movie for the menu.)

Disc 6: Casablanca / The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - The Casablanca side is missing the two commentaries and the intro by Lauren Bacall listed on the box. Again, it starts right into the movie without the menu coming up. On The Treasure of the Sierra Madre side, the movie is missing altogether - as well as the commentary, etc. referred to on the box. Instead, the menu reads "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Special Features Disc 2" and has some features not listed on the box. It also says "Additional Special Features on Disc 1." (It appears Warner Brothers accidentally transferred the wrong disc over from their 'Sierra Madre' Special Edition DVD set to press this disc.)

I'm not sure how widespread these mistakes are - but hopefully, WB Customer Service can arrange for replacement discs for me or anyone else out there with the same problem and get this mess straightened out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2010, 9:25:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2010, 9:25:35 AM PDT
Doug says:
Thanks for your post. My set had the same problems except the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and the extras listed are on side two of the "Casablanca" disc. Another disappointment is that the movies are on flipper discs rather than two movies on a single sided disc and the discs are covered with grimy finger prints. You'd think they would wear gloves when placing the discs in cases...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010, 8:19:53 PM PST
Scott Leslie says:
Glad I could point this out. I'm not sure where this issue currently stands with retail copies out there but I contacted WB Customer Service last month about my problem. They said they were aware of the issues and would be sending replacement discs to me for the two incorrect discs. (I haven't received them just yet.) I'd contact WB online if you have any issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010, 12:54:16 PM PST
tor says:
I have not seen all the discs yet but Action in the North Atlantic and Passage to Marseille, which are both on the same disc, will not play no matter how much I clean them. I will be interested to see if they send me out a replacement or I have to send back the original first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010, 8:10:49 PM PST
Scott Leslie says:
I didn't have any problem with that disc fortunately. I just received a replacement disc in the mail though. "Sierra Madre" has been restored to the set. But they didn't correct the Casablanca side or send me a corrected Dark Victory disc. I hope they clear up these two remaining quality issues. It's very sloppy. (I didn't have to mail my incorrect discs in. They just said they would mail me a replacement.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010, 3:21:01 PM PST
Scott Leslie says:
I just received word from WB on this set. They won't be correcting the Dark Victory or Casablanca discs or sending out replacements for them. According to WB, they hadn't intended to include these commentaries and special features - so they will be deleting reference to them in their future DVD sets. This doesn't make any sense. Why would they put out all this PR and packaging info on something they hadn't planned in the first place - particularly adding special features to Casablanca, their most prominent film in the whole set? I'd imagine WB is trying to cut their expenses on the project by just fixing the primary issue (i.e. restoring the missing Treasure of Sierra Madre) rather than spending more money dealing with two secondary issues and putting a further dent in their sales revenues. The set is fine. But if you're buying this set, be prepared for older DVD pressings of Dark Victory and Casablance without the extras - regardless of what the packaging might or might not say. Very disappointing. Shame on WB for not dealing with this issue properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010, 5:35:36 AM PST
Scott Leslie says:
I checked and WB had forgotten to include the remastered editions of Dark Victory (2005) and Casablanca (2003) in their DVD set which include these special features.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010, 1:08:22 PM PST
Anonymous says:
Bought the box set from COSTCO in San Diego on Dec. 17...then read your comments so ran and checked my discs. Happily I can report people can buy the DVD's at COSTCO without being disappointed. I found no missing movies and no movies that won't play. Dark Victory has its extras so anyone missing those and want them they do exist. Casablanca, instead of the extras as listed (a commentary by Roger Ebert and an introduction by Lauren Bacall) has a 30 minute tribute to the film hosted by Lauren Bacall, this side of the disc was obviously from a previous release of the film since the menu graphics are different and it starts on the film, not the menu. So I'm pleased with my set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011, 8:48:45 PM PST
Denyse Gates says:
I have this problem also and no one seems to get back. I must be at the wrong place. Do you have an address where I can present this issue and perhaps get this corrected?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011, 4:28:29 PM PST
Scott Leslie says:
Try going to www.WBshop.com and the help / customer service section. If I remember correctly, you just fill out an on-line form with your issue and contact info and they'll get back to you via email. Hope this helps.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011, 3:20:07 PM PST
L. Papp says:
Thanks to you I won't be buying this.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›