Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Tool with Great Results, July 9, 2008
This review is from: SEKI EDGE SS-106- Stainless Steel Fingernail Clipper (Health and Beauty)
This product along with the Seki Edge Toe Nail Clipper are simple tools that help make life a little more enjoyable and easier. These also make nice gifts for family and friends as they will be pleasantly surprised by the build quality, design, and sharp blades.

Some of my thoughts:
- Cost: Yes initially they are more expensive than the cheaper ones but after having used them for over 6 months, it looks like it will last longer. However, these are not to the point of out-of-reach high luxury items with gold plating and studded with diamonds. They are probably more expensive because of quality build, carefully thought out design, and the use of good materials and processes. I also contacted Seki Edge through e-mail and confirmed that they are made in Japan which also probably contributes to the higher price.
- Features: It would have been nice if these nail clippers came with a file. The cheaper ones I've seen have this feature and can be pretty handy to help smooth out the nail after cutting. However, if you are mainly using it for manicure or pedicure purposes at home, then you can always buy a separate file for the job. Also note that in addition to not having a file it also does not have a finger/toe jam picker. Hey it sounds nasty but this is all part of the cleaning process! But it's okay because if I see jam, I'd rather just cut my nails short and give them a good washing.
- White Sticker: The white rectangular shaped sticker with "Seki Edge" logo in red and black looks like it might come off over time. I wish they instead engraved or stamped their name or even kept it off entirely. This of course is not a big issue but my first impression was that this sticker somewhat cheapened the look.
- Size: Another first impression was that these clippers are not small or travel sized. Possibly the ergonomic design and leverage needed to cut with ease contributes to a slightly bulkier product design compared to the cheaper ones. Despite this bulkiness, I can see this clipper being ergonomically friendly for those with large or small hands.
- Quality: The build quality is like a tank and yet it feels nice to hold in the hand. Also when you open and twist the handles, it flows smoothly and it does not feel like it will fall off or disconnect like the cheaper ones often do. I notice a hint of metal to metal sound when turning the handles, which probably will produce scratch marks over time, but this is not such a big issue to me. I am not sure what the two slots on the edge of the handle are for but I assume that it is for style and to help lighten the weight. I also appreciate the stainless steel material. The brushed stainless steel found on the body and the smooth sandblasted surface look on the handle is nicer than the chrome plated or "gold" plated shiny ones typically found elsewhere. The angles and curvatures throughout the design also contribute to a nice looking clipper. The blades are what really set itself apart from the competition. You can really feel that the perfectly aligned sharp blades actually grip your nails before proceeding to clip off the nail crisply and assuredly. I wonder though how long the blades will last over time. Thankfully I understand that this is twice tempered steel and that it can be sharpened. As with any tool you need to get used to it. I recommend cutting a little less nail in the beginning until you get the hang of it (no pun intended). For me I got a little carried away in the beginning and I cut off too much nail. After a day of handling items, opening doors, and typing on the computer, I noticed my nail was slightly separated from the finger on the very tip causing it to be sore (sorry for those who are squeamish). Anyway, there is also sometimes a clicking noise after immediately following each nail clip depending on the amount of force you give. This sound assures you that the clipper did its job and is ready for the next "bite".

Overall I found these two tools to be a nice and helpful addition to my everyday life. The fact that I know that I do not have to struggle with low quality clippers (easily dull and misaligned blades and small design that is hard to hold and slips when given too much pressure) when clipping my nails gives me peace of mind. For a few bucks more, I consider this to be a significant upgrade. If it were up to me, I would rate these 4.5 stars out of 5 because it is not absolutely perfect but close to it. However I will give these 5 stars since this is the best nail clipper I have ever experienced.

As a side note I feel like these nail clippers give the similar unexplainable good feeling that is produced by Felco Classic Pruners Felco Classic Manual Hand Pruner #F-2 (for gardening purposes which I highly recommend) when using it and yielding great results. If you own one you know what I mean.

[Add comment]