Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 24, 2011
I don't write many reviews, but right now there are only 3 reviews for this product and 2 of them are (unbelievably) 5 stars. I was moved by CTA's response to the 1 star review (I figured they must really believe in the product if they wanted to address the complaints), so I decided buy this rifle instead of the $30 one. Although not very articulate, the 1 star reviewer is basically correct. The other 2 reviews, especially the "Grand Canyon" reviewer, sound like commercials from people working for CTA.

The plastic feels very cheap. I didn't expect carbon fiber, but for $60, it doesn't have the quality feel of the other PS3 controllers or accessories that I have. My kids toy rifles have a better build quality.

If you want to use the Move Controller (which is basically the point), you connect a side accessory that adds a 2nd trigger, which is a little weird. The two are separated by about 1/2 inch, like old double barrel shotguns, so you can't pull both at the same time, although I guess you wouldn't really want to.

With the Move attached, the "zwink" reviewer is right that it's a very narrow space to then try to use the L1, x, o, triangle and square buttons on the gun (although they are all on the Move controller except for the L1). It basically makes these buttons useless.

The Left thumbstick is on the left side of the barrel, so if the game requires you to move with this (like Dangerous Hunts does), it's impossible to control this and your buttons on the Move Controller (see above) at the same time (ie- can't move and reload, change guns, etc). This wasn't a problem for Killzone 3, because if you use the Move Controller for that game, it lets you use R1 to move your guy (which is where your right thumb is near the trigger).

When I seated the Move Controller completely in the holder, it wouldn't fire at all. I tried this multiple times and finally was able to get it to work by not completely seating it down in the holder and rotating it slightly to one side. Looking at the trigger mechanism, it again looks like poor build quality.

The trigger for the Move Controller is a little sluggish to respond. No big deal with a machine gun, but when you need to fire in rapid succession (Dangerous Hunts and The Shoot both depend on this) it's a significant problem. The Playstation Move - Dual Shot are much more responsive, as is the Move Controller by itself.

It comes with a scope, but you can't even look through it (plastic in the middle). I really don't care, but why put it there if you can't see through it?

It is a plus that you don't have to use Move Navigation Controller because it basically acts like a Dual Shock or Move Navigation Controller. They talk about using it instead of a Dual Shock Controller for shooting games like Call of Duty, etc. I didn't try this (I got too fed up with it), but I really can't picture anyone sitting there going through Black Ops with this thing instead of the regular controller. The lay out and feel of the buttons would make it too difficult to move, aim, and shoot quickly.

The pairing with the PS3 was quick and easy.

It does vibrate and make shooting sounds that you can turn on and off - yeah.

I really don't like bashing someone's product, but on the other hand I don't want anyone else to waste their time and money (although Amazon's return policy is awesome - I have returned it and am going to go with one of the other rifles).

ADDENDUM: You would think that I've got better ways to spend my time, but I went through the reviews for the other CTA PS3 rifles PS3 Assault Rifle Controller and PlayStation Move Submachine Gun and almost all of the 5 star reviews have the same tone ("Awesome," "rocks the house", "best ever")as the ones here, and, similarly, are written by people with only one review in their profile. 2 of the people with multiple reviews ("fat jay" and "dave the maven") have almost all of their reviews for CTA products (surprisingly, all are unequivocally 5 stars).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. These are obviously CTA employees (although when others have called them out, they deny it). It's not like we're dealing with physicians, but shouldn't there be some ethics involved? Shouldn't the quality of the products and the independent reviews speak for themselves (which they obviously do if you take out the phony 5 star reviews)? I'm now going to go out of my way to avoid any CTA products in the future. Ironically, looking at the reviewer profiles, I found out that CTA also makes Wii Inflatable Kart - Red, which both of my kids got for Christmas - one never stayed inflated and both had the steering wheels brake off within 2 weeks because of cheap build quality.
2626 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?