Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even consider it....WASTE of MONEY!, October 7, 2009
This review is from: KitchenAid KHM9PWH 9-Speed Professional Hand Mixer, White (Kitchen)
I bought this mixer in Oct 2007. I used it very infrequently, probably less than 1x/month - and on what was probably my 14th use, it would not start! As other reviewers have noted, there was no response other than a clicking sound when the power button was pressed.

Since multiple people (on multiple review sites) have had this identical problem, I contacted KitchenAid even though the 1 yr warranty was up, told them that clearly there was some kind of defect in design or manufacturing, and requested repair or replacement.

Of course, I got the stock answer of "we cannot provide support on a product after the warranty has expired" and they offered a "discount" (equivalent to Amazon's current price) so that I could buy the same crappy mixer! Regrettably, I had already given away my functional but plain Black & Decker hand mixer...that teaches me to buy style over substance!

I also bought, in the last year, a KitchenAid stand mixer. I recently got a solicitation from them to buy (at extra cost, of course) product insurance to extend their 1 yr. warranty. Given the rotten performance of the hand mixer, I might be compelled to shell out the extra $ just to avoid having a $400 piece of nonfunctional metal 6 months from now.

KitchenAid, get your act together and quit shilling these glossy but low quality products! Based on reviews of other KA products, it seems there has been a steady erosion of quality over the last 10 years, so BUYER BEWARE.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2009, 7:42:42 PM PST
musicfan says:
I've read about the decline in quality also, and I think it's since they started manufacturing in China, but that's just a guess. Cheap Chinese made goods with expensive price tags. :(

KA needs to care more about quality and their customers and less about scamming people. It really should be cheaper since it's made in China.

Posted on Dec 17, 2010, 9:36:31 PM PST
Some Guy says:
Ditto.

To bad some smart handy person has not posted what the problem component is.

I bought this for my Mom to replace her old, uncomputerized hand mixer and bought the one with dough hooks and things I don't even know the name of. She also hardly used it.

Did a computer chat with Kitchenaid got no support and no acknowledgement of a design problem.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011, 9:55:09 AM PST
We had a similar problem with an Osterizer-style blender (not Oster brand) - wonderful digital unit, worked great, then suddenly one day would not run even though all the lights and display worked. Then I remembered that in the old days, 120V electric motors sometimes had to be spun (had a little pull string, just like a lawnmower) to get them going (before the days of "capacitor start", for those techies out there...). So we took the blender jar off, and with it turned on, I gave the little spindle a spin - and it fired right up. Haven't had any trouble since - but I'm sure that sooner or later (just like a Roulette wheel), it will stop in just the right spot where it can't self-start again. When that happens, we'll just give it another spin.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Sometimes with this new digital stuff, the motor may stop in a "dead-balanced" spot where it won't start turning without a little help. Don't try spinning sharp blades though, because when it goes, it really takes off! On a mixer, I'd just install one blade to try spinning it, so I don't get pinched.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012, 9:07:11 PM PDT
On a mixer using even one blade (beater) wouldn't a finger possibly get caught?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013, 10:00:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2013, 10:01:15 AM PDT
Steve L says:
If plugging it in and trying to turn on you get a click noise but otherwise it appears dead, it needs to be charged. Yeah, crazy that a corded device needs charging, but that's what it is. Plug in for 12 hrs or so and then turn on. If shuts off after a couple of secs, turn back on and select a speed other than zero. It should then sort itself out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›