Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, April 22, 2008
My uncle in Georgia has one of these, and I live in Michigan. When I first heard of Magic Jack it intrigued me that he was only paying $19.95 a year for phone service. So I had to check it out. So I went to the web site, and I did a lot of reading. After talking it over with my wife, we decided to try it out. It only took a couple of days to get it, and set up was easy, but when I plugged a phone in it to make a call, it was horrible. Though I remember reading some where that a power USB hub could fix this problem. So I order one up, and waited. Once it arrived, I hooked everything up to my computer, and started making calls. It worked great! Every time, with every call. I have been running it for a week, and no problems. In my personal option, no digital phone service will ever sound like a regular phone line. I know people the have Vonage, and Packet8, and this works just as great as those, maybe even better. I also have slowest DSL possible (768k), and sounded great, even when I was downloading files on the internet.

To those who have had problems:

1. Read everything before you buy. I have noticed on the internet people complaining about how it doesn't work. It is a piece of technology, and even though it is supposed to be an easy thing, it may require some reading on your part to learn how to make it work. Everything can be found in the FAQ's section on their Magic Jack's website.
2. If you buy this item and don't work, like bad reception, or no dial tone, broken conversation, get a Powered USB hub. For 15 bucks, it makes it run great, and I have a lot more USB ports now.

Pros:

* I like the fact that is cheap. $19.95 a year cheap! I like to save money, who wouldn't in today's world?
* The fact I can call long distance for free, and saving money.
* The call quality is great, if my 83 grandmother could hear me, and understand what I am talking about, then the sound quality has to be decent.
* It can go with me if I ever decide to travel, I am too poor to do that right now.

Cons:
* The fact that I had to get a USB hub to make it work great. On the web site it says plug and go. If I wouldn't have read about it I probably never would got it to work.
* Their tech support could be better, I never have used it, but from what I have read, it isn't all that great.
* In order to use it, your computer has to be on. I leave my computer on 24/7 anyway so it doesn't bother me any. To those that shut off your computer at night then your phone wouldn't work, and who wants a call at 3am anyway?
* No local area code for me yet. Though there might be one someday.

There may be other quirks that I don't know about, but all know the problems I had when I first hooked it up, versus how it works with a hub, I doubt I will have an real issues with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2009 12:47:58 AM PDT
Just wondering do you still rate it a five star? If so email me @grace4awl@verizon.net. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 5:03:00 AM PDT
CROWNED ONE says:
I would like to know if you still rate it 5 stars also, I think you can do an update post.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 4:57:05 PM PDT
Geejay64 says:
Mj is definately 5 stars. I've had it for 2 months. I've never had a problem. It works great for me and my mom. I'm stationed in Japan, so you can imagine the savings on international calls. Works great! Easy to set up! Sounds great!

I've used Vonage and Skype, but MJ is 100% better.

I also had to contact their tech support when I first got MJ because my mom was having problems getting through to my Florida number (I chose a Florida area code because my mom lives in Florida). They were very helpful. They walked me through some trouble shooting step by step until we solved the problem. Turns out my mom was dialing the area code when she shouldn't have been.

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 7:30:06 AM PDT
Kamme says:
did u plug the magic jack directly into the usb hub?

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 3:21:21 PM PST
PWTSM says:
This seller (gofastparts) is spaming Amazon.com with numerous ads for Magicjack at different prices (all the same item and service) and has the nerve to charge as much as $69+ for the Magicjack in at least one ad, when you can buy it from Magicjack or at CVS or BestBuy for the manufacturer's suggested retail price of $39.95 (includes one year of service). Do not buy from this seller. Do not buy a magicjack from anyone who charges more than the suggested retail price.

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 9:46:59 PM PDT
veracity says:
for best results feed MJ credentials to a (hosted) PBX

always-on 400+ watt PSU [computer] is wildly inefficient use of electricity for phone service

if you don't mind the always-on requirements, and are thirfty-, patient- and willing to learn then combine MJ with "orgasmatron" -- a special build of asterisk by PBX in a flash

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 4:54:18 AM PST
M. Welker says:
I have two other phones in other rooms working off the same phone number, are these still usable, will the magic jack connect them all in if only the main phone is plugged into the computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 11:02:25 AM PDT
I'm not quite sure what you are asking or trying to do. Magic Jack uses your computer. If you have an existing land line, the phones in the other room will still work with that number, but they will not be using MJ. You can't use MJ for the entire house unless you disconnect your existing phone service at the junction box outside. Also, you'll need to have your computer on to send/receive calls. I bought a pay as you go Trac Phone instead of leaving the computer on 24/7. One other thing to remember is that you need a good quality cable internet connection. It will not work with dial up. I'm using my MJ as my primary # with the cell phone as a back up. With MJ, even if you don't have your computer on, incoming messages go to voice mail. You receive a WAV file with the incoming message in your email. I know your post is several months old. I've enabled the recieve email when new posts are made.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 5:16:42 AM PDT
Ms. KnitEng says:
Why leave it on 24/7? The magic jack has an answering function. Set it up and it will let anyone leave you a message - and leave you a notice on your email when and what number if it is not on. There other functions to use,like call waiting and 3-way, but you need to read on the internet. Bought my grand-daughters one for their computer, because their mother will not let them use the house phone or have a cell phone. They LOVE it. She is ok with it because she take the computer away and they cannot talk all night and the rest of the family has the house phone to use.
And this review is very correct, the customer service is awful or worst. But the device works so well and the cost per month is soooo low. I love mine and plan to keep it. Have use other computer phone as far back as 1992 and this one is good.

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 12:21:50 PM PDT
Sam Swing says:
Obi 110 beats MagicJack hands down. Easier to us. Better call quality. Does not use a computer. Powerful enough to drive unpowered telephones. No annual fee to use with Google Voice.

I wish that I had switched from MagicJack to Obi years ago.

OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter