Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Fuhgeddaboudit!, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Mafia II (Video Game)
Back in 2007 when the first trailer for Mafia II debuted, I said to myself this looks awesome.
I played the first one and thought it was one of the best PC Games ever made, So I was looking forward to this game since it was announced. I was blown away by the demo despite it having a 12 minute time limit. It wasn't long into my Mafia II playing experience that I realized I enjoyed playing a 12 minute demo more than playing 2 hours of the actual game.
I was very disappointed in this one.

The game is set in a fictional called Empire Bay (Based heavily on 1940's-50's era New York City)Taking place after World War 2 and beginning in 1945 when The main character Vito, returns home from serving in the US Army. We are introduced to Empire Bay and the games characters. The vintage cars & Well put together oldies soundtrack add to the overall feel of the 40's and it certainly feels authentic. However This all provides a facade for a game that lacks much substance and leaves the player craving for any kind of excitement. This game reminds me of a beautiful woman, appealing and seductive at first glance, but you find she's as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Mafia II is similar to it's predecesor. The story is really the only thing that makes this game interesting but it's dense plot and predictable outcome really make it just as dull and boring as the gameplay. The voice acting is certainly one of the few postitives of the game, featuring the voices of TV stars Rick Pasqualone & Sonny Marinelli. The Cinematics really make you feel like your watching a Scorcese flick, sadly this isn't enough to mask the insipid world around the player.
The map itself isn't very big to begin with, Despite having an open world with seemingly limitless possibilities, The game feels more like a dictator forcing you to rush through the game and beat it as quickly as you can. For instance,
when Vito completes a Chapter/Mission he is always told to "go home" and "sleep" this leaves the story to proceed to the next chapter. I'm not saying it should be like GTA, But it would have been better if you could space out your story progression and do side-missions for different characters at your own leisure, rather than just go straight up the gut with the story. Perhaps 2k Czech did this purposely to hide what awful non-linear activities they have spread throughout the map

To put it blatantly there is really nothing outside the linear plot that can keep you occupied, The car customization option is a really cool feature and I'm sorry to say is perhaps the highlight of the game, allowing you to get a fresh paint job, new rims, and engine upgrade. Unless you enjoy robbing stores, Bringing stolen cars to a chop shop for money, Getting drunk or buying clothes this game is not for you.

There is no free roam save feature the game saves automatically when you advance to the next chapter, this really cripples the open world, sandbox type game I was expecting it to be. Mafia II lacks the diversity of the other mafia themed video games such as The Godfather. The Godfather allowed you to run a vast criminal empire of rackets, store fronts and prostitution rings, why wouldn't The people at 2k Czech realize that's what being in the mafia was all about and what makes the game fun and interesting. 2k Czech must not have played this game after they made it because they would realize how dull and un inspiring of a game it was, Which makes me wonder why they even delayed this game for as long as they did. It didn't improve anything. The map is consists of only 3 islands which are all clones of each other with simlar buildings, shops and streets.

If anyone played the demo, somewhere along your torturous experience in this game you'll notice the subtle differences like the bridge cincematic in the demo is not even in the game at all. I feel 2k sucker punched us and made us look like fools.

This game had alot of potential. It wasn't long into my Mafia II playing experience that I realized I enjoyed playing a 12 minute demo more than playing 2 hours of the actual game. My advice to those interested in purchasing this game, don't be decieved by the trailers, gameplay footage or what favorable reviews you may come across, This game isn't half bad however I would not reccomend buying it there is no replay value at all. It's the ultimate game designed to look good in Trailers, Posters, etc. and set us up for a high expectations and HUGE letdown. Perfect example of style lacking substance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2010 8:23:20 AM PDT
marc says:
i was angry when i realized that the free roam save feature was Not There...as the ability to ride around robbing stores, saving cash, saving your cars and just LIVING the life of crime in such a beautiful rendition of NYC would have saved this game 100%. the decision to REMOVE the freeroam save has got to be the worst idea ever....and has pushed me back into playing The Godfather on REGULAR XBOX just to properly liveout my Gangster Ambitions...

A FREE ROAM SAVE PATCH CAN STILL SAVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!

iLL .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2010 8:32:29 AM PDT
Mark Warner says:
This review is dead on. I expect it to be buried in an avalanche of down-votes by the end of the week.

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 7:16:49 AM PDT
Weck says:
I would have to agree with this review. After numerous delays in getting this game out I expected much more. Unfortunately for 3rd-person shooters like this, every one will be compared to GTA and leave us disappointed when it doesn't at least meet the standards set by Rockstar. After their huge success with Red Dead, maybe Rockstar needs to go with a mafia game and show 2K Czech how it's done!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 5:18:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 31, 2010 5:18:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 5:21:22 AM PDT
Anony Mouse says:
Mark, I think you spoke too soon, right now it has the most helpful votes with only 2 out of 24 users rating it down.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 11:49:31 PM PDT
This review is literally spot on. I was gonna come here and type a review and he just saved me the effort. I wish i had read this before purchasing the game though.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 6:57:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010 6:58:36 PM PST
rich says:
dont buy this game it will leave you bored really quick and to top things off theres an update that messes up your xbox live and you cant connect. what a waste of $60

Posted on May 22, 2011 7:48:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 26, 2011 5:10:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2011 3:32:08 PM PDT
Quasimodo says:
A very good critique of the game indeed. I too also enjoyed Mafia and looked forward to the updated 1940's-50's version. But as stated before, very linear and I found that the only thing you could really do was collect Playboy magazines or Wanted Posters by running all over Empire Bay like a chicken with your head cut off.
Sure the graphics and the story line are great but after that there is nothing. The replay value is terrifically low and its a shame that 2K didn't spend more time adding a few additional things to do besides the usual story line. I dunno...maybe most of us are spoiled by Rockstars GTA series. My advice?....do as I did....buy it used for a small amount of cash. That way you won't feel so bad when you've finished with it.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 9:02:52 AM PDT
SKJK says:
When your told to "GO HOme", don't go home just roam around a bit, rob some stores, and then when your done, then go home :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›