Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

2,480 of 2,532 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The Clip+ does everything it needs to, and nothing it doesn't., September 18, 2009
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I owned the first generation clip, and the new 8gb clip+ retains everything that was great about the first while adding all around refinements.

Pros:
- Overall build quality has improved, but especially with the clip mechanism.
- Files on MicroSD integrate seemlessly with the on board memory.
- The volume and power buttons have more ergonomic placement on the device.
- Sound quality remains great.
- Audiobook files can be sped up slightly to save some "reading" time.
- The interface is a little smoother and nicer to move through.
- The square trackpad makes it easier to navigate without looking at the player. (good for runners)

Cons:
- No cap on the MicroSD slot, so that could potentially get dirty.

If you don't need gimmicks such as touch screens and web browsers, then this player is quite possibly the best on the market for value, size, and quality. The Clip+ is definitely worth the few extra bucks over what the first gen clip is selling for now.

UPDATE: Having used the product for a while the one thing I'm disappointed with is battery life. The meter drains down to 50% at the expected pace, and then goes from 50% to 0 quite fast. I haven't timed it but i'm sure the battery life (using all default settings) is quite less than the advertised 14-15 hours.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 149 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 8:09:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2011 8:10:22 PM PDT
T. Lee says:
Indeed. I won't trade browsing by file and folder for anything else. I have the 4 GB blue version. I also recently rockbox-ed it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I don't want anything else from an MP3 player, maybe except better battery life. Boot up and shut down is about 3 seconds... It doesn't have all the useless doodads and it doesn't try to be jack of all trades. It was designed to listen to music and it does that perfectly well. It weighs nothing so it goes everywhere with me - skiing, biking, running, in the car, everywhere.

This thing is also pretty rugged - fell off the mountain bike with this thing hitting the dirt first and it still works! Although, the headphone jack is loose now so I might get the 8 GB version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:23:31 AM PDT
h7886 says:
The battery life claimed is obviously not tested by maxing out the poor device. It was most likely tested by setting it to barely audible levels (not in traffic) and only playing a few tracks in-between long bouts of pausing. I'm not saying that's what they did, just guessing.

You're maxing the volume not because the media player is weak, but because whatever you're stuffing into your abused ears is inadequate. A proper set of in-ear monitors with properly fitted buds would isolate road and bike noise, requiring you to use a much less damaging gain setting.

It's only natural that with an exponential increase in gain (decibel increase), battery life will exponentially decrease. If you invest in a good set of IEMs, both your player's battery and your ears will thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 8:47:16 AM PDT
J. Stanley says:
How funny! Just the kind of info I need to make my choice. Thanks :o)

Posted on May 12, 2011 12:20:18 PM PDT
Laura says:
I have found the exact same thing with the battery life. It read 50% one second and shut down the next. I got about 9 hours of battery life listening to an audio book (just turn on and listen, no using the LCD screen or anything that might drain the battery faster). At least I know I'm not the only one and didn't get a dud.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 12:26:18 PM PDT
Laura says:
Your arguements make sense for other players I've had, and in that instance, I agree. I have used all these tricks to get more battery life out of my previous Sansa Fuse, and had some success. However, I disagree 100% regarding the Sansa Clip I received. From day one (I've had it a week), my Clip only has a 9 hour battery life - AT MOST. I listen to audio books, just turn on, pick my book, and play. I don't skip anything, don't stop and start, don't change the volume and don't turn it off and on. I just let it hang and play. The battery life on this thing is NOT as advertised, under any conditions, as far as I am concerned. I am disappointed, and will not be purchasing a Clip again without some major improvements to the battery life. I would have never purchased it if I had known just how inaccurate the 15 hour claim was . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 8:48:01 AM PDT
Nevin Miller says:
I washed mine, too, but instead of hanging on the line it went through the dryer. It was completely dead after that.

Line dry only!

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 5:17:48 PM PDT
S. Rose says:
I get about 6 or 7 hours on mine. I still love this mp3 player. I love the clip and how simple it is. I listen to audio books a lot on it but also music. I am buying a second one because of the short battary life. My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter that works so I can't charge while driving. So for a longer trip having 2 would let me use it the whole time and just recharge at home. I use a wall plug charger I bought here at Amazon to recharge about 70 percent of the time. I also use a mini speaker to listen to it in the car. I don't like the idea of blocking out sounds while driving especially alone. I have found that sometimes I need more sound and I often listen to it with full sound on (100/100) in the car. But I can buy a second speaker to use with it and I think I will do that. Perhaps using a lower volume will make the battary last longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 1:57:01 PM PDT
ET says:
Leopold..You said all the things I wanted to hear!! I'm old school too..listen to albums but mostly library books downloaded to computer and transferred to Sandisk my present one's controls quit working so I'm in bad need for a replacement...kinda confusing as to which would be best to have. Been reviewing the Sony Walkman..but probably don't need all the bells and whistles.hmmmmm..gotta decide. Thanks for your input.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 5:37:42 PM PDT
Ali Julia says:
I am interested in listening to audio books, so I need the player to remember where I left off. I bought another mp3 which does not remember, since you mentioned listening to books I hope you can tell me if it has memory where you stopped listening, so you can start right where you left off. Many thanks for your time!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 10:26:25 AM PDT
Crescentmage says:
Hi Ali,

The Clip+ remembers your place. When you turn it off and later turn it on, you can simply press play to start right where you left off. I listen to a lot of audio-books, so this is an important feature for me as well.