Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 6, 2000
Madhur Jaffrey's "Indian Cooking" was the second book on Indo/Pak cooking that came into my cookbook library (by virtue of marriage, my Pakistani husband already owned it). The first recipe I made was Ground Lamb and Peas (Kheema Matar), made for our wedding dinner. It was made with my mother in mind. Since she didn't like lamb because it "tasted fuzzy" I thought I'd surprise her with a good lamb dish. We didn't tell her what is was until after the dinner, and she loved it. (bought her this book later as a gift)
One dish that is always requested by family and friends is the Hard-boiled Eggs in a Spicy Cream Sauce (Malaidar unday) which is my husband's "signature" dish.
Among our favorites the Lamb with Spinach (Dilli ka saag gosht) which we make with beef (yes it's spinach but all the children we've prepared it for actually like it!) Do Paiza (or 2 onions) we also make with beef (I have a hard time with lamb now after the birth of my last child), and Aloo Gosht (a stew).
When our paperback copy of the book fell apart do to it's constant use and accidental spills (it looked at though it had been through a war) we bought the new expanded addition. Much to my delight my favorite dish Shahi Korma was now included.
This is traditonal Indo/Pak everyday and special meals cooking -- I think the biggest testament to the book is that when I made recipes from it for my hard to please mother-in-law she actually liked them!
0Comment| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?