Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 6, 2012
I bought the original Halo when it came out on the Macintosh computer years ago. I bought my first Xbox to play Halo 2, and upgraded to a 360 for Halo 3. Needless to say I have played all the Halo games, and am a fan of the series. Here's what I have to say about the new addition to the Halo universe...

Halo 4 delivers.

There has been some skepticism on how Halo 4 would turn out, especially after it changed hands from Bungie to 343 Industries.. (I'll never forget Bungie coming onstage on a very early Apple keynote event, presenting it's new game "Halo") And I'll admit, I was a little nervous myself. I was always happy with how Bungie had treated the series, and when I heard Halo had been given to 343 Industries, I wondered if they would "ruin" Halo.

Let me put that to rest for you right now, they haven't. 343 Industries was given a Ferrari, and they treated it like one! They put time, effort, and extremely hard work into this game, and it shows.

And since you are eager to buy this game and not waste time reading a massive book review, I will touch on some of the key aspects that you may want to know too.

**STORY/GAMEPLAY**

One of the biggest things that makes the Halo games SO darn fun to play is that they have an INCREDIBLE story. It's the thing that sets good movies apart, the storyline. Halo has always had one of the best stories in gaming history, and Halo 4 continues this legacy. No spoilers, but Halo 4 doesn't drop a beat, you step right back into the Master Chief's boots like it was yesterday. The gameplay is still "Halo" and it feels right. Simple, clean interface. Easy controls, and a story that makes you feel like the Chief himself.

At first I was skeptical, (At the end of Halo 3, I mean, how could you come back from that?) but I couldn't be more wrong. I love the Halo lore, and this story is no different. I will enjoy playing this campaign!

**GRAPHICS**

Let me say something right off the bat, this game is GORGEOUS.
This is one of the greatest (if not the best) looking Halo game of the series, maybe even one of the best on the 360.
The environments are breathtaking, the weapons and vehicles are polished and the maps are vivid and lifelike. The team spent hours into the design of this game and it shows! Your eyes will be drooling.

**MULTIPLAYER**

No doubt, one of Halo's strongest points has always been Multiplayer. I've loved the multiplayer even since LAN games on Halo 1. And yet again, with no surprises, Halo 4's multiplayer is insanely FUN.

It keeps the same of tradition of guns, vehicles, and brawling, but with a shine. 343 added some nice elements into the multiplayer, like Mantis', new weapons, and fine tuning of the load-out system; but it still FEELS like Halo, which is great! It's still a blast to play, and very easy to jump right into the action. Assassinations are still there (I liked that addition in Reach) and I like it how 343 took some nods from the community and made things like Infection (now called "Flood") built-in playlists.

The multiplayer in Halo 4 also offers nice incentives to level up and build your character, this makes Halo 4 even more fun to play, and it's not boring to play the multiplayer over and over again.

**SOUND**

Another thing that is fantastic about the Halo series is its score. Music that moved you, took you places, and filled with all kinds of feelings from fear, to victory, to sadness. The music in Halo could fill you with
adrenaline or inspire you with awe (Halo: Combat Evolved anyone?) Neil Davidge did a fantastic job in continuing Halo's great sound, it doesn't disappoint. I heard that Halo 4's soundtrack sold so many copies, it would make the UNSC take a second look.
-----

Halo 4 is an absolute gem. Bungie handed over their baby to 343 and they took great care of it.
I'm thrilled as a fan to see it given the attention and time it deserves.
It's a fantastic game, with endless replay value. Whether you are getting this for yourself, or a friend or two, you WON'T be disappointed. It's a heck of fun to play, and it looks, sounds, and plays beautifully. This review is short, and there is SO much more in Halo that I couldn't even begin to write about here. The rest you'll have to experience for yourself!

Hopefully this review has convinced you to scroll up to the top of this page and "Add to Cart"
Trust me, you'll be glad to did!

See you on the battlefield!

------
EDIT- FULL DAY OF PLAY
After playing Halo 4 for many hours now, I decided to knock off a star. Here's why.

Don't get me wrong, none of these things deserve the game to lose a star by themselves, but put together, they do.. sadly..

**MULTIPLAYER**
After playing many, many matches on Halo 4, here's what I found..

-RESPAWNING
seems to be a little contradictory... It has a timer, but you can spawn back AS SOON AS you die. This can be frustrating because your opponent could spawn just feet away and come right back for vengeance.

-MAPS
I absolutely loved the maps in Halo 3, and Halo Reach. Halo 4's maps can get old fairly quickly... I think they over/undershot map size a bit too. There's no "wow" factor like when you see a map as massive and great as Halo Reach's Blood Gulch remix.

-LESS CUSTOMIZATION
than Halo 3 or Reach. Not terrible, but they put tons of stuff into armor, but cut the many emblems, accessories, (e.g. wrist, arm, etc) Don't get me wrong, they have TONS of armor helmets and they are BEAUTIFUL, I just felt a tad disappointed at all the cuts elsewhere.

What I would LOVE is a "Classic" playlist on Halo 4, where everyone gets the same weapon loadouts, and respawn timer is MANDATORY. Just for fun. This could also be used to bring player in to Halo 4 gradually.

**STORY**

No spoilers.

My only gripe with the story so far, is that it seems a tad... rushed. Nothing terrible, mind you, but I would've enjoyed a little more time (I mean.. MC has been frozen for years... Give me some time to see him come "alive") but the story is still fun to play, and if you're into the Halo lore, it won't disappoint.

Still, a very, VERY fun game to play, just some small wrinkles that lost that one star, for me at least.
1515 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?