Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 2, 2011
First, I have to admit that I haven't finished the book yet -- I know, you're shocked. What I can tell you is this: the way it is structured is working for me. I was surprised to see the bad reviews, particularly those that called the book boring. This isn't a book you read from cover to cover. Nor is every bit of content in the book meant for every reader. My reading of the book so far has gone like this: I read the first few paragraphs of the intro, got bored, checked out the table of contents while checking my e-mail, changing the playlist on my iPod and thinking about how I really don't feel like changing my eating habits while also wondering why he spends so much real estate talking about kids when this is a book about adult ADHD, skipped around to the chapters that sounded interesting without really reading more than a few pages of each, got distracted by things he mentions that require additional reading (I was looking up "Dore method" and "brain gym" before I even finished reading his first sentence referencing them), and then I started writing this review before consuming even 25% of the book, in part because I was inspired enough to write down my thoughts, but also because this review is serving as a nice procrastination tool to avoid something that I should be doing right now instead. There are things in there I know I want to revisit -- cerebellar stimulation, hopefully stuff about time management and organization, etc. And I've been taking nuggets out of it as I go along while also dismissing the stuff I don't want to focus on right now -- again, this is not a book that requires you to hang on every word. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you read it the way your ADHD brain wants you to read it, it's actually a really cool book.

As an aside, the people complaining about the lack of data and other scientific "substance" have a point, I suppose, and I didn't read the first book (driven to distraction), so I might agree with them more strongly had I read it.

What is NOT working for me, AT ALL, is that I chose to buy it on Kindle. In fact, this book has made me consider the idea that my brain might just not be cut out for Kindle. It requires way too many steps in order to skip around, as ADHD folks are prone to do. Visual cues, like bullet points, headers at the top that tell you what chapter you're in, and chapter beginnings and endings themselves just don't come across the same way. Simply put, the Kindle edition isn't conducive to skipping around, which was how the author intended it to be read. It's also not conducive to tge way I focus on things -- big picture with visual cues first, then zoom in from there, if that makes sense.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?