Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's Just Say It Isn't Pretty or Worth Your Time, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Let's Just Say It Wasn't Pretty (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you like Diane Keaton you may not like this review. I like Diane Keaton too and I don't like this review. I hated writing it. I rarely give just one star.
I'll be brief and to the point. Diane Keaton should stick to acting. If you want to learn interesting things about Diane Keaton you won't find it here. Read a book about her, not by her.
This rambling, disjointed and often boring book is a waste of the 60- 90 minutes it will take you to read it...with many breaks to just get away.

The three prevalent threads running through this book, in addition to the frequent name, address and label dropping are beauty, insecurity and growing old.

On one page the author lists many ways the body declines with old age like losing hair, getting liver spots, immune system shutting down, changes in vocal chords that make us sound old, heightened risk of injury from falls, hearing loss, diminished eyesight and reduced mental abilities.

But this is more interesting than learning how many and what kind of bras and panties(with a lengthy 'B' or 'C' cup debate), her daughter bought at Victoria's Secret....or reading about the author's constant moving and house renovations, or her selection of men's clothing, or her long discussions about hair, or how she went barefoot to her son's school and talked to the librarian and hoped the librarian wouldn't notice, and then ducked into a janitor's closet when she saw the principal. Raise your hand if you smell a phoney. If Diane was a true free spirit she wouldn't care who noticed she was barefoot. If she had common sense she would have worn shoes. We also learn how she broke her toe (#5) walking backwards barefooted to help ward off dementia and employ the unutilized part of her brain.

Really?

I'd like to suggest that if you decide to read this book you won't be employing the unutilized part of your brain or any part of your brain. This mindless, pointless nonsense is not worth your money, your time or the paper it was printed on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2014, 6:40:00 AM PDT
SLK says:
Thank you! For years she has always come across to me (in interveiws, articles, etc.) as self-obsessed despite her carefully-crafted "kooky" image.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014, 9:00:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2014, 9:06:12 AM PDT
Lita Perna says:
I think you nailed it about her 'carefully crafted kooky image'. The image is old and tired and no longer cute. She comes across (to me) as not a free spirit but a phony and not very bright.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 10:58:42 AM PDT
Judith says:
Thank you for your honest review. I also found the book lacking, but since I returned the Ebook to the library without finishing it, I won't write a review. I like a lot of Diane Keaton's movies, but yeah, I think she is one of those people who strives hard to be odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2014, 10:53:06 AM PDT
BH says:
My take on it is that she really WANTS to be a free spirit, but her deep-seated insecurities prevent that. She seems to really admire women who ARE free spirits and unconventional and would really like to be that way herself, but just can't get over her own internal demons telling her otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2014, 11:50:19 AM PDT
Lita Perna says:
I think this is a perceptive comment. I'm going to add that I also don't think she's very bright or has much common sense. (Still: She's richer and more successful than me.) Jeez, I hope she doesn't read most reviews of her book.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014, 6:26:26 AM PDT
Petsounds says:
Wonderfully written review, Lita! I'm sure I enjoyed reading your review more than I'd have enjoyed reading the book. :)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014, 2:06:21 PM PDT
Francesca75 says:
I have no problem believing every word you wrote. I want to like Diane Keaton, but think she lacks substance and character. That her book would lack substance makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2014, 2:37:45 PM PDT
Lita Perna says:
Thank you for your comment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›