Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's MQ24-9B Classic Analog Watch (Watch)
I was looking for a reliable yet inexpensive watch. I settled on the 3 Casio watches that look like this and chose this one of the three. There's the white faced, the black faced, and this one is the yellow faced w/24 hour numbering. (some pictures of this are over exposed. The face is what I'd call a yellowish wheat color. Quite nice.) All three likely have the same internal mechanism. My watch was unexpectedly light in weight which is a huge bonus in my book.

The band was cheap as hell, but I chose the "Watch Band Genuine Leather 16mm Black Classical Vegetable oil treated durable double stitched and padded with gold plated buckle" sold by Watchmaterial here on Amazon. Now I have a nice watch that looks like $1-200 bucks, and I'm out $20.

So, buy one of these el cheapo Casio watches, buy a 16mm (width) watch band to replace the really cheap band Casio sells with these, and you'll look like $1-200 also. Plus, if you damage it or drop it in the toilet, just spend another $10. I'm considering buying the black one next. I might like that better. My educated guess is that I'll get 5 years out of this one and will likely retire it when the cheap crystal gets too scratched.

I give this product Three Thumbs Up!!!

3-14-12 -- Edit to add:

This watch keeps virtually perfect time. Only my cell phone, ipod, and my computer, which are all synched constantly, do a better job. It's within seconds of the computer time when I adjust it twice a year for the time changes. The "crystal" is becoming moderately scratched so I thought I'd buy another watch. Quite likely yours will suffer premature battery failure as mine did, but it's pretty inexpensive to buy 2 watch batteries on Amazon for a couple of bucks. When I buy my second watch I'll probably just put that second fresh battery in it and it should be good for 3+ years.

Good deal? You bet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2012 6:33:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 2:32:34 PM PDT
MFlorida says:
So the 16mm watch band fit it? Ive been looking around for a band to go with this when I buy it but the ones I like are 16/18mm and the watch specifications say it is for a 20mm band. I wasn't sure if they would be wide enough to fit into the band holes on the case. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: 20mm, way too large. Not sure why it says a 20mm band in the description.

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 3:35:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2013 3:37:40 PM PST
Does this watch have a back light so you can see the time at night? I'm looking for a watch with military time so my husband (who has dementia) can tell when it is night and hopefully he will stop wandering at night. efcHixson

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 8:58:48 AM PDT
Have you actually tried replacing the battery on this? Do you need a special tool to get the back off? I've got the model with the white face and was considering getting a new watch as I figured replacing the battery at a store would run about the same price as just buying a new watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2015 11:52:20 AM PDT
T. Evans says:
Battery replacement is easy if you have a butter knife and a steady hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2015 11:55:36 AM PDT
T. Evans says:
This watch is not for you. No light at all. Unable to tell day from night just by reading the watch. I recommend a watch with an illuminated digital readout. Most of these can be set to either 12 hour (am and pm) or 24 hour mode. That way, when your husband reads "18:45" he'll know it's 6:45 in the evening.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2015 11:57:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2015 11:58:55 AM PDT
T. Evans says:
Ho hum. I re-read my review. I wrote that this watch needs a 16mm width watch band. I did not lie or deceive. That's what it takes if you wish it to fit properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2015 2:41:36 PM PDT
T. Evans says:
I said it was 16mm width. The drones that post product descriptions often get stuff wrong. My name is attached to this review. Trust me, not them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2015 2:45:34 PM PDT
T. Evans says:
you need a small screwdriver and a gentle touch to get to the battery. Replacing it is simple for me, but I'd recommend a toothpick to help ease out the old battery. If you screw it up, you've lost $9. Screwdriver to pry the back off from either the top or the bottom. Watch the very thin rubber gasket, and make sure it's clean and properly positioned when putting the back back on. If you don't do this, it will fail next time you're caught in a downpour. Then you're out $9.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›