Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features, not fully baked yet, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2- Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am on my second TX-NR616 now, I sent the first one back but both units have the same problem. If the receiver has been off for a while, I am unable to turn it on with the remote control. Once I turn the unit on using the power button on the receiver then the remote is fully functional.

I have been dealing with Onkyo support and there have been two firmware updates since I got the receiver about a month ago but neither update has fixed the problem. I am still waiting on a response to see if this is a problem that can be fixed with a firmware update or I have had two units that are both broken the same way.

Looking beyond this problem, the receiver has a large number of features and I have not had any problems using it to watch Blurays and listen to music. I've got the UWF-1 wireless Lan Adapter and I've streamed music using Pandora on the receiver with good results. Have not tried to watch a movie with the adapter yet.

The receiver uses the older Audyssey 2EQ room correction which works OK but is pretty dated for a brand new mid-range receiver. One thing worth mentioning is that the 616 has two subwoofer outputs but they are identical. So whatever levels you set with the Audyssey 2EQ or even manually the correction only recognizes a single subwoofer. I turned on only my main subwoofer when I ran the the room correction and then turned on the second subwoofer afterwards and set the level manually.

I am hoping that Onkyo can solve the power on problem with a firmware update because there are multiple people who are having the same problem.
I have had 3 other Onkyo receivers before and I have always had good luck with them so I am hopeful they can get the initial issues worked out.

Update from October 2012:
I originally wrote the review in May, it is now October and and these problems are not resolved. Visit the Onkyo support forum at [...] to see feedback from many users.
Onkyo seems unable to deal with the technical issues with this family of receivers. They claim that these problems effect only 0.3% of the users, but there are far two many installers seeing problems with every unit they install, or people like myself that get a replacement and it has the same problems as the original.
I've had Onkyo receivers for well over 10 years and I have never had issues with any of them until this model. My impression is that Onkyo understands audio issues but modern receivers are essentially computers, with network connections and apps that are out on the web. And on these issues it appears that they are overwhelmed.
I write computer firmware and software for a living, and I while I don't expect a perfect product, I do expect each new firmware release to address problems and actually improve the product over time. Too many of the releases don't seem to fix anything.
I needed to buy a new receiver for my son for his birthday, and for the first time I looked for a product that was not from Onkyo. I ended up with a product from Yamaha. And while it doesn't claim to have every feature in the world like this one does, it just works and works well.
Watch the Onkyo forum, and if it ever appears that the users are reporting that their problems are actually being fixed, then this product might be worth the risk.
For now, I can't recommend this unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 9:28:22 PM PDT
H. Bui says:
Have you tried upgrading with firmware 1070-5105-0200? I was able to exit the standby mode using the remote.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 3:51:00 PM PDT
Tary says:
I have been keeping up with the updates so I am running the latest version but it still won't turn on with the remote if it has been off for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 6:55:52 AM PDT
Tony Kaye says:
Fellow 616 owner here (but not for long!).

There was another firmware update last night, but it also failed to fix the problem.

The workaround is to set the receiver in Network Standby mode, but that is supposed to be a power drain.

If Onkyo can't get something as simple as being able to turn the receiver on, it fails to retain my business. Thankfully, I found it within a few days of buying, so I can return it without penalty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:22:42 AM PDT
MacCentric says:
If you return it, what would you get instead? Do you think this is better than the NR-609? I've been thinking about purchasing one of those for long enough that this updated model has appeared.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:14:31 AM PDT
Tary says:
I originally tried to get a 609 but the place I ordered it from was out, and they gave me a good deal on the 616 so I went with that. If you can find a good deal on the 609 you might be better off getting it because the 616 appears to have been released before it was ready.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:02:54 AM PDT
Rowlan says:
I also have the Power ON problem. The main HDMI out doesn't work but the secondary HDMI does. I have to unplug the unit from main power supply.
Turn it back on, works fine..... how annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 12:17:00 PM PDT
Daniel Mesey says:
Will a universal remote work? I just got my 616 and having the exact same problem. This is very discouraging.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 6:46:59 AM PDT
T. Nuss says:
You have to ensure you press "reciever" FIRST on the remote in the "mode" section. For some reason it frequently defaults out of reciever mode. Never happens when using the remote app which is awesome. The remote is a little quirky but all of that is eliminated when using the app. After running the latest firmware update as of 8/12/12 rerun the initial setup and go through all of the steps. BTW, print the manual online and read, advanced overlapping features can be confusing to newbs...

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 5:37:56 PM PDT
AnG says:
I am considering this model. Anyone else having this issue.
Tary, were you able to get this issue resolved by Onkyo eventually?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 5:42:49 PM PDT
AnG says:
How does the 609 compare to the 616. I see 609 has fewer hdmi inputs/outputs and does not have the latest MHL. However 616 has fewer traditional inputs/outputs. BTW, anyone can hint what are good uses of having 2 hdmi outs and 2 pre-outs?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›