BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on November 20, 2009
Nobody seems to mention several important things. I'm not sure if all the products are the same, or if the one I bought from this particular seller had these problems, but mine had two major shortcomings.

1) It only comes with a Southeast-Asia plug adapter (which I believe is the same as they use in the UK). So out of the box, there is no way to charge it in the US, other than via USB. At some point you will probably want to buy a converter plug.

2) There is no Market application installed on it. Therefore, you cannot, with conventional means, install any other applications on this phone. The Android OS that comes with this particular phone is crippled. I managed to root the phone and install a much better Android version on it, but it took me about 6 hours of trial and error and it put me at risk of ruining the phone (drop me a message if you need help rooting your own Hero; I saved my notes from the process).

After fixing number (2) above, yes, the phone is great and it works as expected. There are plenty of reviews out there and I agree with what they say -- the good and the bad. But it takes hours of effort and you must take serious chances to restore this phone to its un-crippled state. That is why I'm giving it only two stars.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?