Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Cons: Did not give me Super Powers, October 8, 2008
This review is from: C&E 30S1-01260 2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable 6-Inch Gold Plated Connector (Electronics)
I used this to hook up my computer speakers to my 40-in Sony Bravia TV, which only had RCA output audio jacks for an external audio source.

Solution: Buy this handy-dandy converter, and I was able to instantly use my computer speakers. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using CHEAP computer speakers, as in, computer speakers that use the power from the computer to power them. That would probably break your TV. Mine were a bit nicer, and had a small subwoofer and had to have it's own power source (ie. a Power cable)

The only problem is that this TV is unlike my old one, which had the capability to have computer speakers hook directly into one of the 'audio outputs' on the back of the TV, so I could control the volume using the TV remote. On this TV (and many others, I assume), by using this converter, my TV thinks that the audio is a separate device with it's own remote.

Downside: I have to get up every time I want to turn up/down the TV. Eh, it's not that bad, considering I play movies/tv shows using my Phillips DivX dvd player. And for those that don't know what DivX is you had better get a word-a-day calendar or something because it is well worth the money.
---------------------------
UPDATE 6/4/2010 - Product has been going strong for the past couple years. I have started to notice a low 'humming' coming from my speakers, but then again my Logitech speakers are now over 5 years old, so what can you expect?? I hooked them up to my digital piano and the humming was still present, so I know that it is my speakers and not the converter. I stand by my review I made over a year ago: get this if you want a simple way to connect your computer speakers to your TV!
---------------------------
UPDATE 6/17/2011 - Product still going strong. I still use the same speakers, and I believe it is my TV itself that is producing the low-pitched 'humming' when the TV is on but the cable box isn't. It is not the fault of this product, at all. I also bought a female-to-female extension cord so I can play movies straight from my laptop to the TV (and connect the computer speakers to it while still keeping it behind the TV).
---------------------------
LAST AND FINAL UPDATE 9/17/2012 - Wow, first, thank you for all the Helpful Votes! When I first bought this, I had no idea if it would even work, and there was only one-or-two other reviews. Now with over 300 reviews, I think I should e-mail someone and get a discount next time for all of these potential customers I brought in!

The product has survived two moves (cross-state, too), being stomped on, and I caught my cat playing with it too one time, during the move. In either case, I should amend my review to say that it DOES give me super powers: it allows me to use computer speakers to connect to an RCA male output. I still have the same setup, my 40" Sony Bravia TV with my older-than-dirt Logitech speakers. Whenever friends come to visit, they ask why my sound is so much better than theirs (because they are using just the TV speakers in the flat-panel TV, which have no speaker cone...). I just point them towards this little product.

If mine ever breaks, I will come back and update again, but I think this review speaks for itself: I still have the exact same one I bought four years ago! And finally, please, don't forget to mark this as "helpful" if you thought it was! Thanks everyone! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2008, 7:24:28 PM PST
RT says:
J,

I have similar SONY computer speakers that work great. I'm planning to buy a 40 in bravia TV but I want to know if you managed to fix the turn up/down problem for the tv volume. Do you think this problem could be corrected if the speakers are hooked to a sony blu ray player and using the tv remote control to change the volume through the blu ray player? check models s350 or s550. Do you think that could work as an amplifier/receiver?

Would appreciate your comments very much.

Posted on May 23, 2009, 12:23:10 PM PDT
Alex Evans says:
Wow, I'm buying this for my Sony BRAVIA 52 inch TV with the same deal, only RCA audio output, hooking up PC speakers with subwoofer (makes SO MUCH bass). And i have a Philips HDMI Upscaling DivX DVD player. Creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2010, 7:36:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2010, 7:37:18 AM PST
Hey Tenze, I know that we had several e-mail conversations about this: but basically since he had a different model of TV, he was actually able to turn off the sound from the TV altogether and control the volume using his remote. My Bravia is an older and/or cheaper model that his, so we figured out that my TV does not have that feature. I am still getting up to turn up and/or down the volume whenever I need to, but the speakers are still working great. :-)

Alex - lol yup, and actually since that post my Phillips DivX dvd player crapped out and I have since then bought an upscaling 1080i Toshiba DivX dvd player from Circuit City when it was going out of business last year.

I usually don't check on my own reviews after I put them through, but thanks for the comments!

Posted on Jul 13, 2010, 9:26:29 AM PDT
!xobile says:
Thanks for the great idea. My TV has no headphone jack and I had a nice pair of PC speakers with headphone jack sitting around collecting dust. I hooked up them to Xbox and now I am able to hear stuff from headphones. Adjusting volume is not an issue for me since Xbox media center has volume adjustment feature through controllers. My original idea wad to get some cheap receiver with optical input.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011, 8:19:11 AM PST
Gio Macías says:
I know this is probably late, but you should be able to use your remote to control the volume. If you are using the RCA audio output jacks, there is an option in the sound settings in the menu to control whether you want variable volume output (which lets you control the volume from the tv[what you want]) and fixed audio output (Which sends on volume to the speakers and let's you control it externally[getting up and turning up/down the volume]) So just check in the sound settings and set it to Variable Audio Output and turn up the speakers and you should be able to control the volume with your tv remote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011, 11:04:55 AM PST
Gio - Thanks for the tip, but I have looked in every place imaginable on my Sony Bravia television, and unfortunately I think that because my TV is an older/cheaper model, I do not have this functionality. Actually right after I read your comment, I went back and looked again and still could not find it. My TV does not have the ability to set it to different sound settings and just has either optical output for sound of RCA cables. Thanks for your help, however!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011, 3:05:05 PM PST
Gio Macías says:
Sure thing! It is always worth a try! I just find it strange that it doesn't have it. Most TVs tend to have them. Oh well. =)

Posted on May 17, 2011, 8:56:30 PM PDT
Davoo says:
Funniest title for a review ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011, 12:14:46 PM PDT
Oh, thanks! ...I should check my reviews more often. Hope I helped at least one person learn about the power of converting to cheap computer speakers!

Posted on Oct 3, 2012, 10:19:19 AM PDT
S King says:
I'm pretty surprised no one recommended using speakers that have a remote control. Just search "computer speakers with remote" in the amazon search box - they sell a bunch - some are extremely affordable! Hope this helps :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›