Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on October 5, 2010
Again, I must admit to enjoying Helmreich's character, Jersey Walcott. This is the third book I've read from this author and he continues to impress me with his storyline, character development and suspenseful-surprising plot twists. Also, Helmreich always publishes in eBook formats which save me money with my new Kindle 3.

Jersey, as I've pictured him, is a big man (think Ohio State offensive lineman), but inoffensive through his intelligence, wit and savvy. Maybe it's just me but Jersey's smart to employ `second brain' Maggie, his girl-squeeze. She's smart; working for a legal defense team and enjoys the different cases presented her office. It seems Jersey will be aided further by Maggie's entering law school. I can see other Jersey novels developed from him `probing' her for information on pending cases.

Another thing(s) that pleases me about this series of Jersey Walcott novels is the length of the story. Maybe it's just me, but I like word count of Helmreich's novels. Give me something around 25K words; not overwhelming, no filler, no tangents...only the facts of the case, ur, story. And, as I've said before in a different Jersey novel review...the author abstains from gory, blood-lust details found plentifully on the evening news. Sure, it's a crime story and someone dies -- but spare me the gore that so many authors seem to make huge portions of the scene about.

The `Death' book story has plenty of twists and turns, some predictable, and a few, surprisingly unpredictable. The Country Club setting seems harmless until you get into the personalities of the members. After reading `Death at CC,' it makes me think this is not such a bland, in descript, sterile setting. Helmreich does a great job putting Jersey through the paces of a death investigation...from a crime-writers perspective. It still seems funny (and a nice touch from the author), IMO, that Jersey is not a detective, or a cop, or anything but a magazine crime writer. hehe. `Agent Walcott' as Jersey presents himself to the unsuspecting -- it's kind of a funny backdrop when Jersey does that, sort of a story within a story, a funny façade.

What did I specifically like about the `Death at CC' book? It's funny character banter. The books twist regarding who got killed and why. Its length, just right for my taste -- and it's an eBook format (saved me some money). Lastly, Jersey steps up into a new car, shedding his old Buick. You'll never guess what he's in now.

I give David Helmreich's `Death at the Country Club,' a five star rating. Don't miss it...it's his best work so far.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink