Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars My 3 Mobile Console Gaming Options, October 16, 2011
This review is from: G155-Gaming and Entertainment Mobile System (Xbox 360/ PS3 Not included) (Video Game)
I had 3 options to play my Xbox at work...

Option 1: Capture Device/Laptop Screen-
This was desirable to me because it removed the need to buy an additional screen and haul around extra gear. So I looked to things like Easy Cap, Dazzle, and Hauppauge capture devices to play Xbox on my laptop screen. Unfortunately, using a capture card and viewing the game on a laptop screen experiences lag, and in the case of the Easy Cap and Dazzle, a 480p resolution. The clincher for me was the lag.

Option 2: Small 15 Inch HDTV-
This option seemed like the next best choice. I would need to buy a larger bag to take both the laptop, the Xbox, the HDTV and whatnot's to work. This option is definitely viable, but after the price of the bag and television I would end up paying close to what the G155 already costs, albeit less. Additionally, the Xbox wouldn't have felt as safe and setup and takedown of everything would have been more cumbersome.

Option 3: The Gaems G155 Mobile System-
This appeared like the best of the three options for me. In essence it was an HDTV within a container that seemed both organized and sturdy, so I ended up buying the G155.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

After purchasing and using the G155 here are a few areas of improvement for the device...

Dead Pixels-
As with many new screens there are a few dead pixels, but generally I don't notice them, although it's not ideal.

Loose Seam-
Sometimes the case comes loose at the middle, near the handle while I carry it. I feel that this would be solved if there was a latch mechanism installed there, like in a briefcase.

Carry Strap-
I wish I had a backpack or messenger bag that was large enough for the G155 unit to fit into. I'd like the actual case to be hidden from view and be more protected from scratches and scuffs. Also, a backpack's or messenger bag's carrying straps would be very nice as opposed to carrying a heavy load with just the current handle. I'm aware that Gaems has stated that you can attach your own strap to it and they might be making one of their own for the unit, however carrying the unit completely immersed in a bag would be ideal for me, although I haven't found a bag large enough for the unit to fit into.

Price-
I bought the G155 off Amazon at $270. If this unit sold for $200 or even $250 it would have been an easier purchase. I understand that they have to consider the bottom line and profits but a $200-250 unit would be more convincing for me as a consumer.

[Those are my only beefs with the G155 as of this writing. Unlike some owners, mine will be used extensively in the future, so we'll see how well it holds up for me over time. Hopefully it won't break down easily with a lot of use.]

Now on to the things I love about the G155...

Xbox Stays Cool-
After hours of continuous gameplay my Xbox does not overheat at all within the G155.

Protective-
My Xbox feels much safer in the hard plastic case compared to carrying it around in a normal bag.

Compact/Organized-
All of my cords, controllers, and pretty much everything I need easily packs into one gaming environment. [Note: I bought a small CD sleeve to carry my game discs within the G155.]

Mobility-
I can leave my Xbox in the case and hook it up to my large TV at home without removing it, then just close it and take it to work when needed.

Screen-
The HD 720p screen is clear and gorgeous to look at and there is no lag whatsoever.

In summary of my 3 mobile console gaming options...

Option 1: Capture Device/Laptop Screen-
I do not recommend this as a sole way to play consoles on the go. The lower resolution and lag times are not cool.

Option 2: Small 15 Inch HDTV-
Having done something similar to this in the past, it is definitely a viable option, based on if you're looking for something less expensive and your personal tastes.

Option 3: The Gaems G155 Mobile System-
This, I believe, is the best all-around option for mobile console gaming, or if you want an extra small television in your home where you can play Xbox or PlayStation. I'm very glad I purchased it and would recommend the Gaems G155.

Hope this helps perspective buyers.

[Update: I've now used the Gaems G155 for six months, and on a regular basis. It's held up great, and I've had no additional problems with it.]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 9:49:31 PM PST
Justin K. says:
If you still need a bag: this is the one I use, works great: holds my 17 inch gaming laptop, and the Gaems case with the xbox in addition to having even more room for other stuff:

Targus XL Backpack Designed for 17 Inch Notebooks TXL617 (Black with Blue Accents)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 10:27:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2011 3:14:32 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 3:15:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2011 3:15:30 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 3:15:49 AM PST
S&T says:
Wow, thanks much for this info! I had looked at that backpack a long time thinking it probably wouldn't hold the G155, and am way surprised to hear you can with the 17 inch laptop as well (which i have). That's crazy! I'll definitely consider buying it. Thank you!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:52:00 PM PDT
Amazon must have heard you. The G155 is now $249.99. The price dropped from $269.99 when I bought it 8 days ago to $249. I'll do you a favor and let you know when I about to buy anything so if you want the same item all you have to do is wait a week or 2. It ALWAYS happens. No matter what I buy. From anywhere.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 7:54:23 AM PDT
GAEMS VP says:
ST,

Thank you for the purchase and thank you for spending the time to review our product.

If you have more than one dead pixel, contact Customer Support immediately. GAEMS does not find this customer experience acceptable. We do a 100% test pass on all monitors at the factory, and although a single dead or bright pixel may be crop up over time and be considered acceptable by users and manufacturers, GAEMS believes multiple dead pixels are not acceptable.

Let the Customer Service rep know I personally asked for this unit back.

As for the carry solution, GAEMS is bringing out the Battle Bag in the next 60 days that will carry your PGE, Kinect (if you are so inclined) games, headsets and even a laptop.

John Smith
GAEMS co-founder

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:20:59 AM PDT
Azhrei says:
Funny, I got the EasyCap thingy on here, and apparently I even got the counterfeit one lmao (it shows up as easy grabber something.. not Syntek something) and it works prefect, and there's no lag on my new laptop.

Still... I am going to try to get one of these Gaems cases with my dividend check next year.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:06:41 AM PST
zak says:
Xbox at work, you have a great job im guessing manager of some sort?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2014 1:07:35 PM PDT
Hello John,

My name is Mark, I have had a G155 since November 25, 2011 and it is still going strong. The only issue I'm having is with the GAMES logo on the front of the case. I have tried using numerous types of different glues but it continues to fall off. What type of glue would you recommend?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›