Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 16, 2012
I bought this book as a college student working at a Borders thinking that everyone I knew must have some secret to spending habits I don't. I could hardly afford to eat out more than once or twice a month, and having a latte a day was completely out of reach. So I bought the book thinking it would be full of budgeting advice so I could start dressing and spending more like my peers.

As it turns out, not so much. The authors background is similar to mine in that her parents came to this country to have a better life and lived rather thriftily. The author stopped living her parents cheap lifestyle upon moving away to college and getting her first credit card. As someone who does not own a credit card yet, I can't exactly get myself into the trouble she did.

Most of the tips about how to shop and use various things (cosmetics, clothes, etc.) are tips I already know/ employ. I also already know that with my part-time job I could never afford to eat out a couple of times a week, so budgeting for it would probably put me into debt, not keep me out of it.

The book does have some great tips and advice about a couple of things. It explains 401k's as well as the alternatives for those who are not offered one, along with various other financial tools.

I think this would serve as a great warning to the college students living it up, buying designer brands and lattes everyday when they can't truly afford them. If you, like me managed to avoid that, then you will likely still benefit from the financial advice.

As for figuring out how to afford that latte a day, I think I'll look for another book.
What's this?