Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply AMAZING!, May 7, 2012
This review is from: Silhouette Cameo Starter Bundle (Old Model) (Electronics)
I first want to start by saying I have owned many Cricut machines, including the most recent Expression 2. I was dedicated to the brand. This until a friend of mine showed me her Silhouette SD. The cuts were so precise! No paper ripping, no rough edges, no expensive cartridges and beautiful outcomes! I decided I was going to sell my Cricut and purchase the new Silhouette Cameo. I have been using it every day for about a week and I have not regretted my decision to part with my Cricut! I can honestly say, this machine is great.

I find myself in shock after cutting each image. It is so clean, the images are stunning! The graphics available through the design software that came with the Silhoette are wonderful. If you go to Silhouette's website, you can preview the designs for free, prior to purchase. The images are relatively cheap compared to having to buy expensive cartridges in which you only need one image. Almost all of the images are .99 and you can use your own fonts along with the supplied software. I have used a couple of websites which sell SVG files and print them out then cut. They turn out amazing! Included with your Silhoette purchase, you receive a $10 credit towards the online store. I should also mention you can purchase a subscription (which is what I did) instead of paying per image. I used a coupon code which saved 20% on the subscription rate. A quick google search will help you find a code. I pay $16 a month for $150 of images!!! That is nearly 150 images! There are lower rates available too but decided this was the best bang for my buck. I am able to use $150 of images in 2 months time, meaning, if I don't use all my "credits" within the month, they don't expire until the following month. Great deal!

Another positive the Cameo has over the Cricut is the cutting mats and accessories. The cutting mat is wonderful, not too sticky, just perfect. Recently, Cricut changed their cutting mats in which I couldn't get anything to stick while cutting, thus ruining projects! Not the Cameo! I have used my mat a ton and it is still sticky, Silhoette claims their mats last 5 times longer than Cricut... I completely believe it! Another fun thing about the Silhoette is the sketch pens. I was skeptical at first but bought the metallic pens and the designs turned out so beautifully! The pens are great quality!

Another point I would like to bring up is customer service. Their customer service is amazing! If you email them during business hours, they respond within 5 minutes, if that. Now that's customer service! Another example is when I called their 1-800 number. I was expecting to wait on hold after pushing numerous buttons to get to the right peron. I dialed the number and I heard, "thanks for calling Silhoette...". Shocking! They were very friendly and helpful.

In conclusion, I have to respectfully disagree with the prior review. I am a card maker and mom who loves to make goodie bags for my kids' school classes and I can honestly say, The Silhoette Cameo is a great, great product! Anyone who is on the fence... trust me, you will love it! No more Cricut and no more expensive cartridges! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 5:25:41 AM PDT
Kathys376 says:
I have been reading up on the cricut and the Silhouette Cameo, and have found the the Silhouette is much better for what I want. I run a day care and sew for the kids. I want to know before i purchase this machine if it will really cut fabric? I have read that the Cricut says it will but doesn't do a good job at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:19:37 AM PDT
C. Dennis says:
From what I have researched ans I have seen on You tube and other places yes it does. I'm about to purchase it myself because I sew for kids as well. Also just started doing cards and other crafts. I was going to purchase the sizzix eclips because it can you carts and ecal. But you have to purchase the programs and cameo comes with a program.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 12:32:30 PM PDT
Mel B says:
A side note about the cutting mat. If it does begin to lose its stickiness you can wash it with warm water and soap to get the paper fibers and stuff off that makes it not as sticky. You just need to let it air dry. You can do this several times before you actually have to buy a new mat. I had one mat for over a year before having to replace it and washed it a couple of times.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:19:41 AM PST
R. A. Bailey says:
I currently have an Expression 2 (my second Cricut) but have been considering switching to Silhouette for the same reasons described but my one reservation is licensed images. Does the image store have designs for Disney (or others) or can you buy them elsewhere? I have several (licensed) cartridges that I use regularly so I don't want to lose that capability.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 9:58:28 PM PST
LarsVA says:
You can connect the Silhouette to your computer, so you can print out & cut out practically any image you want.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 11:11:21 AM PDT
Kari Hampton says:
I'm wondering if you're still happy with your machine? A lot have complained about messy cuts and many blade replacements after only a couple of months. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:44:28 PM PDT
C. Dennis says:
I'm very happy with mine. None of those issues at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 6:18:50 PM PDT
Kari Hampton says:
Oh that's great! Thanks so much for your reply! Someone else said the same as well. I'm excited to get one now! :)

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 2:01:24 PM PDT
Hi there :) Could you tell me whether I could upload a logo (e.g., a Nike logo) or image I find from the Internet (e.g. Google images) or my PC and will the Silhouette Cameo be able to cut this (for purposes of vinyl heat transfer) for a jersey or shirt? Thanks for your response ahead of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2013 2:03:16 PM PDT
C. Dennis says:
Yes. If you can trace it
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›