Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok, I guess I know what you're looking for in this review..., September 30, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP Digital SLR with 18-135mm EF-S IS STM Lens (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
You're thinking of getting the t4i, reading the reviews, comparing it to the t3i and countless others and pulling your hair out at all the pros and cons? Am I close? I'm a photographer and have used this, the t3i and its sony equivalent. I might be able to help. Here's hoping :) Let me start with an anecdote, (you've read enough technical jargon for now so consider this a breather)
I film eagles on the isle of Mull in the Scottish hebrides and the landlady I stay with was telling me about this other photographer who visits her little cottage (it's beautiful by the way, you should visit if you get the chance). So anyway, she is cooking tea , as she does if you ask her nicely. While it's cooking he shows her one of his photos, probably of a sea eagle catching a fish. Everyone wants to photograph one of those even though its on every other postcard in Scotland. Next to a highland cow looking over a gate its the top photo/cliche to get.. Anyhoo, she looks at the photo and says "wow that's must have a brilliant camera" .
So they sit down for supper a bit later and its delicious, she is a great cook. He says "This is must have some great saucepans!" boom boom.
But herein lies the real point of this camera. You know its the person behind the camera that takes the pictures but do you really know it? This and the t3i take pictures so good (if you have the skill) you could blow it up the size of front door but are you going to want to. The thing no sellers want to tell you is that for years, maybe 5 , all of the big names have been making great dslr. Since the nikon d40 perhaps. But you really want to know, if you bought this, would you be happy or buying a pup. Be reassured that neither canon, nikon or sony make chocolate teapots. They know how to make a great camera and this is one. It's biggest difference as you will have read ad nauseum , is the touch screen. is it worth it. It is if you like touch screens (I do). That's not flippant, it's how it is.
So the photos will be great and its a great camera, you've read other reviews so I won't duplicate what you have already read but one thing you may not have read is about the video. All the makers have got dslr right. No pups in sight, but video is a relatively new feature and Sony have tbh been leading the way. This camera sets to rectify that by having autofocus. A lot of places on the net, say it's not needed, you should be using manual focus. Nonsense. Manual focus is ok at times but can be a pain. Filming your dog on the beach for example..The autofocus on the t4i is actually pretty good. Not as good as a camcorder but pretty good. The slowest part is for it to get going. But when it's locked on its sound. Well worth having. So thats sorted right..err no, not really. This is the 650d 's killer feature. Trouble is, they left out the killer feature on the 600d. The 3x zoom with "no loss in quality". So here is the choice if you are buying this for video.
if you want you're 300mm zoom to be able to zoom to 900mm for filming sport or wildlife. It's the t3i for you.
If you love the idea of autofocus (or hate the idea of doing it the old fashioned way) its the t4i for you.
In my opinion if you're considering the other makes like Sony, it comes down to who makes the the lens you are likely to want. I know I have focused (blabbed on) about video but hey, there has been thousands of photo reviews already about iso , shutter speed etc etc. Nothing for me to add there!
So if you are considering using it for video here are a few "must have" things you will need to go with it.
Velbon DV7000 3-Section Ultra Heavy Duty Tripod with Geared Center Column, 2-Way Fluid Head and QB-6RL Quick Shoe, Max Height 64-inch, Supports 9.9 lbs
58mm HMC Ultraviolet UV(C) Haze Multicoated Filter Doesn't have to be this particular one but hey..
Oh and the one that should have gone top of my list
Make better videos with your dslr or camcorder (gives details of the counter intuitive settings that actually work best :) )

So now I have spent ten minutes typing away, telling you how I like the t4i for video (I do) do me a little favour and click that you find this helpful. Unless you don't. Either way you will enjoy this camera but do consider the little brother the t3i also. We live in good times to take photos as there are so many great cameras and this is definitely one of them. One more thing I forgot to mention (and yes it is regarding the video) is that to get great video you need to use the right settings in the menu. Unfortunately these are counter intuitive and if you don't use them you may be under whelmed. If anyone wants them, comment and I will try to post a link

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 6:59:55 PM PDT
Kim Wehde says:
Would love the settings. I am having trouble with the video staying focused while videoing, seems to constantly be going in and out of focus while I am recording. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:51:44 AM PDT
The settings are on my site wildaboutfilms . com , I've put them on there with a few more details to help. If you want to see what the setting looks like , google 'alex sally dunnock singing' you'll see it on youtube..As for the focus, lots of things can confuse it and make it go "in and out" . Poor light is No.1 culprit..

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:49:16 PM PST
You are right I have been reading lots of reviews and reading this review almost got me to seal the deal and buy the T4i (because I want it for video), then you said "if you want...for filming sport or wildlife. It's the T3i for you." I need an all around camera. I have 4 kids, so photo and video of us at home, in the backyard playing with the dog. We are a very active family, outdoors, hiking, hunting, wildlife watching, kids play sports so photo and video of the basketball, soccer and football games (from the sidelines), photo and video of wildlife, etc. I currently have the Rebel XSi, the main reason for an upgrade is for the video capability. Suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:13:23 AM PST
That sums up the dilema perfectly, the one that auto focuses (t4i) or the bigger zoom. I guess it depends whether the wildlife or the family videos are going to be most used? Although one way of looking at it , is the wildlife with the lack of zoom will still be ok (or get closer :) ) but out of focus is no good either way.. That line of thinking leads to the t4i... but then..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:54 PM PST
Jack B. says:
Thanks for your unfiltered commentary about the "video" for those of us who needed that feedback. I've had a t3i, my first DSLR, for about 7 months. Love it, but I don't use it as much for video because of the focus issues and the shaky audio. I shoot video primarily with my SONY EX1 for fairly sizable projects ( I do lots of storytelling, with tons of interviews
and broll) and use SONY wireless lavs for my audio which is great. But now I want to incorporate the DSLR feel into some of my work. Thus the dilemma. I don't have the budget for the big Canon "D"s, but would it be worth the upgrade to the t4i? Or do I just enjoy the t3i for what it is and and change my frame rate to 24 instead of 30 in the EX1 and call it a day. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:24:23 AM PST
I wouldn't worry about the frame rate thing at all.25/30 fps I can't tell the difference. I would perservere with the t3i for a bit if you are using the camcorder as well. You shoul have the best of both worlds..camcorder for tracking focus and the canon for the when it suits. Mixing them might look really good. You can render both footages to be the same rate and format in your editor?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 12:05:56 PM PST
Jack B. says:
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess the beauty of what we do is trial and error and the joy of stumbling on something new that is right in front of you instead keeping up with the next big thing!

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:42:44 AM PST
Matthew B. says:
Loved your comment: "...she looks at the photo and says "wow that's must have a brilliant camera" .

I once shared an-award winning photo of mine with a friend. She replied "you must have an incredible camera." Ignoring her questionable use of "incredible," I simply replied, "Yes, and it works even when I am holding it."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 6:51:36 AM PST
love it :)

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 8:53:26 PM PST
Norm Walker says:
This has to be one of the strangest camera reviews I have ever read. I still said it helpful, it did make me think about the race to have the best camera for the least amount of money.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›