BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 26, 2011
I'm not a creative person. I don't make videos, design websites, bust out hip-hop routines on street corners. I can, if all goes well, draw a stick figure. That's about it.

So why in the world would I want to read a book about the creative process?

Because I needed to be stretched. I'm a business guy, not an artist. You don't learn and grow if you don't read things that are uncomfortable. So when I got the chance to review Blaine's book, I looked him up to see who he was/what he was about. I saw a video that he created and said "ok, I'm in."

And this book was ideal. Art is anything. It can be a painting, a video, a website, a song. Or it can be a new business. The success of your art is based on where you create from. Do you know? Are you, as Blaine puts it, centered? Are you creating a sales-pitch or a story? Do you want something sexy, or do you want something valuable and real?

The common theme throughout this book is that creating is hard work. And it is just that, work. You have to wake up every day and work. Work just as hard in the middle of the process, where you are stuck and bored, as you do in the beginning, where everything is exciting and new. Nothing about creating is easy.

This isn't an instructional manual. Sure, Blaine gives advice and insight, but he acknowledges that the actual processes are going to be different for everybody. This is a book that pushes you move your ideas into execution. As he says early on, "we aren't being paid to come up with ideas, we're being paid to execute."

Regardless of the space you work in, this is a book you need to read.
11 comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?