Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 23, 2016
I really liked this book. It was fun; it reminded me of stories i read in my early teens when I discovered science fiction - Heinlein, Norton - combined with The Goonies. The basic story is a group of teens accidentally enter an alien space ship which attempts to fulfill its previous mission. The "computer" bonds itself to Tamara through the persona of its prior captain and the teens learn to operate it enough to survive in space and discover its origins. It's a mixed group of teens (popular, nerd, athlete, scientist, language arts, new kid in school) who through forced time together discover themselves and each other. It was not overly complicated, simply a good story with kids succeeding. I liked the way it was presented as letters to Tamara's sister updating her on Tamara's life.

I did have two issues that detracted from the story:
1. Tamara's conversation style didn't feel realistic and annoyed me at the beginning of the story. I eventually tuned out all the "likes".
2. The discussion of sex in which there is explicit descriptions of options aside from intercourse. While I would wish teenagers would be frank and aware of sexual choices that avoid pregnancy risk, they don't. Tamara describes acts with the boy she eventually becomes involved with and it was TMI. I think this level of frankness on teenage sex could preclude many readers from purchasing it to read themselves or to gift to a teen.

If not for the above 2 issues, I would have given this book 4 stars. It's a solid science fiction story targeted toward teens, but an enjoyable read for all.

I received this book for free as part of the Read to Review program on Goodreads.
2 people found this helpful