Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

3.0 out of 5 stars A Review of the Reviewers, January 5, 2012
This review is from: SQL Programming Joes 2 Pros: Programming & Development for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SQL Exam Prep Series 70-433 Volume 4 of 5) (Paperback)
First, I do not own this book and I have not read it, but I would encourage you to read on.

I was looking at the Microsoft Press book for the 70-433 test and the reviews are just average so I decided to dig deeper and I came across the Joes 2 Pros series of books. The reviews looked great. This particular book, at the time I'm writing this review (1/5/2012), has 4 reviews and they are all 5 star.

However, I started to read the reviews and they all, to me, seemed to be too perfect so I dug a bit deeper. I decided to look at the other reviews that these reviewers have written.

Mr. Doshi has written 3 reviews. They are all 5 star and they are all for CreateSpace books, the publisher of this book.

Bill P has written the one review for this book.

SQLWriter has written 2 reviews. Both 5 stars and both for books from this publisher.

Groovechampion has written many more reviews, but only 5 of them are for books. All the book reviews are 5 star, and all are for books, once again, for this publisher. Furthermore, when someone made a comment under one of his reviews that was slightly negative about the publisher taking a long time to publish, Goovechampion replied. In his reply, he referenced the fact that the author was currently in India researching his next project. Rather strange that an impartial reader would know the location of an author working on a new book.

These books may indeed be excellent. But something, to me, smells fishy about the reviews.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2012, 4:18:53 PM PST
As the author of the Joes 2 Pros series I certainly appreciate any comments from readers or potential readers. It's the enthusiasm of these readers that has catapulted my books into the top tier recently. We consistently challenge the more established brands like Microsoft Press to be among the top selling SQL books on Amazon. I encourage people who have read my book(s) to continue to leave authentic comments and feedback. As a self-publisher who uses create space I absolutely rely upon the feedback and word of mouth to compete with the big publishing companies. I also rely quite a bit upon social networking and speaking engagements to get the word out. This may explain how someone using Twitter may know my whereabouts.

Having said all that it is important to point out that these books would not be selling the way they are around the world and being adopted as course material for major Universities if the content was not outstanding. I post the first 80-120 pages of every book for free PDF download on my Joes 2 Pros website so people can read before they buy. I hope that Karl will read one of my books and leave me some candid feedback on the content. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012, 4:46:50 PM PST
Rick, thank you for your very professional reply. Unfortunately, I now don't need a text for the 70-433 exam. If I were in the market for such a text, and if I read this well written reply, I would definitely purchase your book(s).

Hopefully others will and hopefully they will write reviews too.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012, 1:48:12 PM PST
I'm in the middle of book 3, and so far these books ARE excellent. The hands on approach in these books are wonderful. Rick! Please make book 5 available on Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012, 6:10:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012, 3:53:18 PM PDT
Sure! Thank you for that nice comment Richelle. There is a link to the Volume 5 Kindle edition now on the home page of Joes2Pros.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 3:24:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012, 3:36:29 PM PDT
Sally Foster says:
Karl, thanks for posting this review. We all know that companies and writers do this, which is why it's important that people post reviews such as yours to warn others. Not sure if this was the issue with the Joes 2 Pros books, but as someone who's been posting to Amazon for a few years now, I highly recommend the first two books in the series (I don't own the others). I dislike unnecessay information when trying to learn programming. The programming itself is enough of a challenge, it's easy to lose focus when there's too much information presented at one time, which is not a problem with this series. Things are broken down at a level that is easy to process and build on. I think the writer enjoys teaching others, and it comes through in the books.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012, 10:46:28 PM PDT
Paras Doshi says:
Karl - I am sorry that my amazon profile and reviews seems "fishy". for my reviews, I can tell you that I have read the books and liked it a lot to give it 5 stars. And I have reviewed books from other publishers too, they are not linked to my amazon profile but you can find other reviews for books here: http://parasdoshi.com/books/.

And I zeroed in on these books because of reputation of the authors - Pinal Dave (SQLAuthority) and Rick Morelan (Joes 2 pros). They have lot of information out there searchable on the interwebs and so like me, you can review the public & free information out there, get to know their teaching style and then make your choice.

Sorry for the confusion, Karl & Authors. I hope this comment adds the missing context to my reviews.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›