Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 5, 2011
I wanted to like this film, I really did. I was enamored with the trailer and couldn't wait to give this one a view. Where it ultimately failed for me is the, in my opinion, ham-fisted delivery of The Plot, at the beginning of the film, by Lieutenant Chad. It wasn't enough for the viewer (i.e. me) to interpret this as art, absurdity and an exercise in "fourth-wall" mechanics. I had to be told this at the very beginning,while also being simultaneously told it is this very technique in story telling which makes a great film and style. Initially I assumed the speech to the viewer/spectator was something a producer insisted to help sell the film so it wouldn't be too abstract, but since the spectators were actually intrinsic to the plot (such that it is), I now assume this was not the case. This pretentiousness quiet simply put the whole film off kilter for me and I couldn't help thinking that the director really believed he was making a masterpiece of cinematic art. Something in which only time will tell. I freely admit, I could not get over this view.

There is some good here, however. This film is actually beautifully shot and visually interesting despite its lackluster scenery. Quentin Dupieux has an eye for some simple and amazing visuals and this reason alone is why I lasted until the end.

This film will likely be loved by some and reviled by others, it is that kind of film. For me it was meh. Worth a viewing if you're curious or as an example of simple and quality cinematography.
1010 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?