Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

I love to juice vegetables and fruits and I have a good friend who literally dragged himself off Death's Door by juicing vegetables that allowed him to heal up from an obesity-caused ailment. I can't think of any better endorsement than that. While it is easy to juice fruits and carrots and cucumbers, greens add a lot more to a healthy mixture and also allow you to eat MORE servings of those deep green vegetables as well as change the balance of your body to a more healthful one.

The author gives you advice on how to make green drinks, which do not necessarily require a juicer, in fact, he informs us that blending (breaking down cell walls of the veg) and triturating juicers do a better job and get you more nutrients (one brand of triturating juicer is the Omega, which I always recommend to my friends. It is listed as a "masticating" but it is also called triturating.) So you actually don't have to have a juicer, per se for this book. A blender can work.

The recipes show you how to incorporate arugula (rocket), kale, collards, other greens and make digestible, nutrient filled and tasty smoothies that can add buckets of vegetables with all their vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your daily diet. I have an issue that I do not eat enough vegetables, especially raw ones as I don't like salads when I go out to eat (bagged salads as served nowadays in most places absolutely bore me, like eating leathery, tasteless shrubbery) and I don't use them up fast enough at home. Juicing and green smoothies are actually for me, convenient as well as healthy.

In addition to showing you how to use these green, you get some info on why lemon is alkalizing to the body and why reducing an acid balance (which is typical if you eat a meat and sweet diet) is helpful for weight loss, healing and general health. The recipes here are good--you learn how to use fresh basil, lemons, and other ingredients such as berries to make something that looks perhaps like pond scum but tastes refreshing and delicious. (JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!)

Some warnings; if you have thyroid disease, kale and other cabbage relatives may provoke a reaction (swelling) if you consume them. I cannot drink even one handful of kale juice without feeling it the next day. Listen to your body. I love kale and collards but I am forced to avoid all cabbages, sad to say. And parsley, which I always include in a small, loose, golf-balled sized amount (maybe less than a quarter cup) is toxic in large quantities. So if you get into juicing big time and love parsley, you need to be careful. There can be too much of a good thing. And an additional warning; if you take certain blood thinners, adding a large amount of greens adds more Vitamin K to your system and that affects how the blood thinners work; Vitamin K is involved in the clotting biochemistry of the body. So before you embark on juicing greens, talk to your doctor if you are taking thinners.

Notes on the Kindle Edition: I like Kindle books for subjects such as this--recipes and facts are convenient in Kindle format. But there are too many photos in black and white--pages of them. The regular Kindle displays only black and white so the photos are less than appealing and pretty much useless- I know what arugula looks like and a glass of smoothie is a glass of smoothie without color to show off. I'd suggest you not get the Kindle version unless you just want recipes, because it's annoying to have to page past a lot of photos.
3737 comments| 1,092 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?