Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars A title for this video game review (Edited), October 30, 2012
This review is from: WWE '13 (Video Game)
Go to bottom for my update

This is my first WWE game since Smackdown vs Raw 2010. Technically, 2009 was the last one I got; I bought 2010 in 2012 and it didn't last long for me.

WWE 12 excited me primarily because it re-introduced the only thing that mattered to be throughout the yearly monotonous releases; being able to break up moves in progress, something highly controversial and oodles of fun in the WWE games on Gamecube; a Giant Swing in a Royal Rumble match would floor everyone else.

But I never sprang for WWE 12, due in large part to highly mixed reviews and Randy Orton on the cover. Plus by the time the price was down enough for me to consider it, WWE 13 was about to come out. So I sprang and got this on release day.

This being my first entry into the Predator engine of the new series, it's a mixed bag, but not in a bad way; more like a bag of candies with different kinds of chocolate bars, including that one disgusting chocolate you really hate and pass over. It's mostly the same as Smackdown vs Raw series, but you get to break up moves.

Also the controls are very much new. Even nearly a year since I last played the SvR games, I'm still reacting in-game as if it were a SvR, using the right wiggly-stick to grapple, or the left bumper button to run. The new grapple system feels unstable for me, and it's almost impossible to keep track of the multiple variant moves available from the 4 or 6 different grapple types, not even including the body targetting grapples. I still hold the grapple button down sometimes thinking about Heavy Grapples.

Something about the action makes it feel more condensed; as if the ring were half the size and there wasn't much space or stamina to run around, but this could likely just be the camera angle and being unaccustomed to the new button placement for running.

Lots of fun customization for custom characters, including being able to pick their strength stats (though it lets you rank them at 100 from the start), weakpoints on their bodies, announced names (with several words instead of singular names), and a name for the commentators to use when mocking and deriding you for being an ugly monstrosity incapable of overcoming the unstoppable barrage of Hunico because all your reversals are Too Fast due to years of lightning-fast button mashing of the reversal buttons going back even to WWF Wrestlemania 2000.

I haven't gotten to the story modes yet, but have played a few "missions" in the much advertised and vaunted ATTITUDE MODE storyline. It appears to have no real story being told other than through matches, which include objectives (win) and bonus objectives (do it the way it happened in real history), shiny unlockables, and copy-pasted lines of commentary taken from the actual matches, with 80% of the lines blending in seamlessly and not having sharp variances in volume or pitch.

Unlike previous years, you cannot skip songs in the game menus anymore, so it gets annoying. The options for creating an entrance are retained from previous years, with movement styles labelled "Superstar 01 - 9000", "Diva 01 - 02", "Legend 01 - 13", and so on, and being rendered without your consent, so that it takes several seconds to preview each motion one after the other.

Most of the ATTITUDE ERA stars are locked by default, so I am hoping Attitude Era heavyweight movers and shakers like Headbanger Thrasher, Headbanger Mosh, Steve Blackman, and SAVIO VEGA! are there waiting to be unlocked. I also look forward to the chapter in the Attitude storyline covering Kaientai, from "I CHOPPY YOU PEE PEE" to the Jerry Lawler hilarity of laughing and making vaguely racist remarks when Taka Michinoku was eliminated from Royal Rumble 2000. It sounds wacky and stupid like I'm joking but I'm not; I really would love to see those sorts of moronic things in the ATTITUDE ERA.

EDIT:

I'm genuinely impressed by some of the sharp attentions to detail with the Attitude Era mode. It's not just a matter of commentary re-used from actual events (or re-recorded sometimes) but the detail they put into choreographing certain cutscenes or setups to look just like they did in real life, and most of all, the music.

It's not just a matter of including "Undertaker gong theme" and "Undertaker Ministry theme" but everything in between, and chronologically accurate---Undertaker at King of the Ring 98 has his proper gong theme, and later in the year, has that electric guitar theme featured on WWF The Music Vol. 3, and has the entirely different Ministry version in 1999. Similarly, Mankind from 96-98 has his sad string music, and in December 98, has that same version with a drumbeat over it.

UPDATE:

I never played WWE 12, but I do remember it being advertised that you would be able to break up moves in progress in that game, much like in games like WWE Day of Reckoning, though presumably smarter and with better collision detection.

For some reason I assumed this would be the same in WWE 13, but it's not. It's back to stagnant mediocrity, and no moves can be interrupted in progress.

That was pretty much the only reason I even bought this game; for the ability to have multi-man matches play out realistically, instead of each competitor pairing off to have their own private 1v1 contests in different corners of the ring.

Then, there's WWE Universe mode. A more uninvolving piece of garbage mode I have not seen since WWF Wrestlemania 2000's "Road to Wrestlemania" mode no one ever used. It's pretty much exactly the same thing, too; matches are set up, and you either play them or skip them.

WWE Universe mode seems to be the complete opposite of the GM mode that was in Smackdown vs Raw games several years ago; you have NO control over the match setups, you have NO control over rivalries, feuds, drafts, or stories, you have NO control over championship matches, you have NO control over anything but superficially creating your own shows and pay per view events.

The WWE Universe mode CLAIMS to have stories involved, but if they are there, they are kept away from you; you only get storyline updates in the NEWS section, where events unfold completely divorced from your involvment; Zack Ryder turns his back on the audience. Why? You'll never know. How? You'll never know. So unimportant is your role that you can literally skip MONTHS AND MONTHS of shows and PPV events just to get to certain events, and it will have absolutely no effect on the game and supposed "stories" unfolding.

With Attitude Era mode done, this game is done.

UPDATEUPDATE:

Apparently, moves CAN be broken up in progress. It is simply nowhere near as effective as in the old TNA Impact game, nor as wildly chaotic (and fun) as the Day of Reckoning series and the like. And the moves can only be broken up at certain points, and I've never been able to figure out the proper timing for these moments.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012, 1:16:16 PM PST
B. Young says:
Moves CAN be broken up. Also everything you said about the universe mode is incorrect.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012, 8:11:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012, 8:13:45 PM PST
Thank you for your review. I have Smackdown vs RAW 2011 and got it last year for free, a few months before WWE 12 came out. I like playing these games mostly only for my own customization and running the WWE as I see fit. Sounds like Universe Mode is still the same garbage, though, and until GM Mode makes a comeback (even if it's in a different name), I refuse to pay for these new games, anymore. They're just a $60 roster update.

In SvR11 though, you had very MINIMAL control over things in Universe Mode, though. Like setting up "custom" matches and changing the pre-arranged card, to at leas ATTEMPT to get the game to see what you're trying to do and what rivalries and title matches you're trying to set up for the upcoming Pay Per View. However, none of these mattered much as the power rankings would still be, more or less, set in stone, and any Created characters would be ignored in favor of the "real" ones, making them not matter to the computer, thus making it near imposssible for them to win title belts legitimately or move up the card. Just wondering if this is the same, better, or worse here, cause you make it sound like it could be worse. Or maybe, you just haven't made any custom matches, if they are still available to do. Anyway, thanks for the review. I won't be buying this game for at least 6 to 8 months, if ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012, 9:46:44 PM PST
Aiex Halo says:
Everything I said about universe mode is correct, even if some of what I said is exaggerated. There's no in-game tutorial as to how to use that unwieldy beast, and the only use I've had for it is unlocking things and earning achievements; I've even gone and skipped a full year's worth of events just so I could win 3 Money in the Bank matches.

There were no opportunities for storylines to emerge at any point, even when I played through a full year without skipping events.

And yah I learned moves can be broken up. It's just nowhere near as effective as TNA Impact game, nor as wildly chaotic as in Day of Reckoning series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012, 5:11:09 PM PST
B. Young says:
While I'm not out to argue my man I would like to point out that you DO have control over the match types in the universe mode. You press R1 (ps3) and it allows you to edit freely. Also my created character is actually having a pretty big rivalry right now with CM punk and with your point about the draft, I wouldn't even see the point of having a draft system. You can edit what show you want any wrestler to appear on. As a long time user of Amazon I totally appreciate your review but please be careful with the misinformation brah.

Now that thats out of the way I got my own complaints about the game. The DLC is nonsense and should have been included. THQ had all those characters completed and yet they still want to nickle and dime. That's cool THQ but I promise the next game I get from you will enter my computer from Utorrent and we'll go from there. Second issue I have with the game is the inaccuracies of some events during the attitude era. I understand due to legal issues they had to change things, but during the hell in the cell (Mankind-Undertaker) 'taker comes down through the cage to attack the people helping Mankind. Well they did a decent job with it but any fan of the attitude era knows it was Terry Funk who was attacked. Not some random blonde guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012, 2:54:11 PM PST
Aiex Halo says:
Technically yes, I can set up my own matches. However, this is basically only editing pre-existing matches set up for you. As well, if you try to edit a championship match's participants, it will make it a non-title match, which seems to me kind of a way for them to say "DO NOT TOUCH OUR STUFF" despite it being your game you bought
‹ Previous 1 Next ›