Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know it and benefit., July 16, 2009
This review is from: Living & Eating (Hardcover)
I found my copy of this book used at a library book sale a couple years ago. So, why write a review of it on Amazon, especially now? I just moved abroad and my copy of this book is among those that didn't find their way into my suitcase. I miss it already.

I must admit that the first time I looked through it, I found it pretentious and unrealistic. The recipes, the recommendations, etc. All of it seemed a bit contrived.

However, I got to know it. I misinterpreted it at first. What I though was pretentious or whatever was more along the lines of an exploration of food in line with a particular philosophy. It's a balance of food, philosophy, and solid ideas that I haven't managed to find anywhere else. Once I sat down and understood it for the statement that it is, it became incredibly valuable to me.

I started cooking as a line cook at a big chain seafood restaurant. Not inspiring, but it got me comfortable with cooking, with working with a variety of ingredients in a way I was unable to before. After I left, I started cooking for myself, and eventually this book was one of the things that really helped me find joy and ultimately a very enriching experience in cooking. It was a great presence for me.

This is the sort of book that won't be to the taste of a lot of potential buyers. It has an agenda and makes no apologies. However, if you can see the beauty in the philosophy that underlies the book as a whole and explore it for yourself, it's wonderful. Not for everyone, but all the same I recommend it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]