Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Not easy for large music collections, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Sonos CONNECT:AMP Wireless Amplifier for Streaming Music (Electronics)
First let me say that I have no intention of returning my ZonePlayer 120 amp. I'm not sure I could replace it with something that performs nearly as well as it does. But it has not been a painless installation, by far. If you have a large music collection, especially classical music, you may be in for disappointment. Although the player is supposed to support 65,000 songs it cannot handle even my 45,000 songs, because of the amount of metadata that my collection contains. Metadata is the information attached to a particular track (ie. artists, title, album, etc.). Classical music, especially opera, is very heavy on metadata and as a result the system cannot accept my entire collection. I was then diverted to the Amazon Cloudplayer for Sonos as a solution, but after nearly 2 weeks of tedious uploading (Amazon's product is error-ridden, unreliable, slow and confusing) my music still cannot be played or accessed. Sonos customer support is great, but it has been unable to come up with a solution, which it has been working on for 3 weeks. Nor does Sonos apparantly have any plans to increase its memory capacity because doing so will prevent the oldest Sonos systems (10 years old) from working with new equipment. It seems strange that a cutting edge company would limit its product capacity based on equipment that should probably be replaced in the first place. Can you imagine being locked into technology for 10 year old phones, TV's or computers? I hope a solution can be found.

Pros:

Wonderful concept. Great for smaller collections that meets Sonos criteria. Awesome, knowledgeable technical support.

Cons:

Large music collections be warned. Metadata limitations. Alternative solutions (Amazon Cloudplayer/Windows Mediaplayer) presented by Sonos are not currently adequate. Sonos technical solutions slow in coming. No "hard" fixes for current capacity issues.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012, 3:58:50 PM PST
Brasington says:
I had the exact same problem, mate. My collection is fairly large at around 12,000 albums and not even 1/4 of them would fit. The system selected the first 3-4 tracks from many albums and that was it--it went straight back to the seller.

Pros:
Excellent interface, usability for novices, looks, reacts wonderfully; Finds music by just selection of a folder; Support people were very helpful and aware of their product and a pleasure to employ.

Cons:
Totally useless for users with collections over a couple thousand albums.

Result = back in the box after 2 days:(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012, 9:03:30 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2012, 9:07:50 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012, 9:08:08 AM PST
V2 says:
I'm having the same issue. Any other similar devices you are investigating - without the limitation?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012, 5:21:10 AM PST
Dependable 1 says:
I'm not aware of any product that can handle large amounts of metadata any better than Sonos. I've been working with Sonos level 2 technical support for a couple of months now (great customer support!) but with no success. Sonos does know that many customers have this problem, but apparently not enough to make them address the issue head on. Still running into the issue of not being able to expand capacity because at that point 10 year old units wouldn't function correctly. They need to develop a product that acts like an external drive to process over-capacity metadata. Sonos now lets you play music from iphones and select Apple devices (but unfortunately not ipods) I'm transferring music onto an old iphone in order to play music that the Sonos system ignores. It's not the answer to the problem, but I'll take whatever crumbs they throw to me for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2013, 2:39:14 PM PDT
Buckeroo says:
Any updates? I am asking since I am considering taking the plunge and buying a Sonus, but like your self I have a lot of music. I am concerned that I will not get access to my whole library.

Posted on Aug 28, 2013, 7:12:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2013, 7:15:37 PM PDT
T. Walker says:
I understand the frustration mentioned here regarding the limitations of collections due to metadata information but as with all things when designing something for the general public one size almost never fits all.
45,000 songs and 12,000 albums are extremely large collections of music most individuals don't own a fraction of that.
When factoring in cost and design stability elements, overall the system does what it is designed to do you must accept your circumstances are at the far end of the spectrum.
I own one of the original Sonos controllers, an S3,S5 and have 5 zones in my home that I have added to over the past 5 years. Sonos continues to support all of the devices and they communicate with each other as they should, good design should be backwards compatible...and the consumers investment should always be a consideration when possible, Sonos has accomplished that on both points.

Most Sonos users stream the majority of what they are listening to (note the vast list of radio and pay for play services).
And it does this extremely well and handles my music collection just fine (I only have about 700 albums and don't listen to them all that often) because I can get what I need from Rhapsody or Pandora 99 percent of the time and have found the cost over buying CD's much more effective and my taste is varied and I like to sample new music all the time.
Have you considered partitioning your collections into folders that are not accessible to the player function and rotating them out?
12,000 albums and 45,000 operas/classical tracks is a lot to choose from, how about making just your favorites available.
Creating a "best of" folder sounds like a fun project....

Posted on Oct 11, 2013, 8:03:19 AM PDT
G. Aldrete says:
45,000 songs.... opera.. say 10 minutes each track, that is 312 days music 24/7... or around 3 years of 8 hour per day listening.... or 12 years 2 hours per day to listen to your music collection. I know sonos should live up to the specs... but do you really listen to all your music?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2014, 6:44:38 PM PDT
Bravo! I was going to ask the same thing :)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015, 7:48:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2015, 7:49:59 AM PST
S. Rhodes says:
Did you buy a Connect amp?? Review the described item and stay on subject. You have an enormous collection and should want to use it but...really!! Sonos works great for 98% of the population. I was wanting to add a Connect amp to my system for some outdoor speakers and wanted to know if you had a problem with The AMP.

Posted on Jul 1, 2016, 7:30:15 AM PDT
Only a mad man would try to drag a billion files into the memory queue. That's a ridiculous amount of data you're asking it to process.

Be smart and break your music into playlists. Do you really think you can listen to 1000 songs in a day? If you listened continuously for an entire 24 hours you might get through 250-280 songs.

Seriously.