Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone thneeds a Robi-Comb! Saved my sanity, June 23, 2008
This is my first review - but I had to write this. This is the kind of product I recommend to almost everyone I meet who comes into contact with younger children, especially school nurse and my family doctor - both who said they'd never heard of it! Sadly, I wish I haven't had gazillions of experience with lice, but as a resident "expert" I'll try to explain my predicament and how the Robi-comb saved my sanity and stopped the bug in it's tracks!

First time my two younger girls brought home lice I dealt with it the usual way; nit-picking and lice-shampooing multiple times. Toxic poisons on my kids' heads...just what I wanted. Well, the buggers were hard to get rid of - and I followed the directions; vacuumed like a maniac and washed and dryed until I was exhausted. The girls had them for approx. 6 weeks.

Approximately 1 year later, my daughter came home with them AGAIN. At a friend's suggestion, I bought the robi-comb. Boy, did that thing get a workout! I'm unsure of the timeline, but I managed to rid the girls of the bugs much sooner.

Fast forward to just this spring. Up to this point I had not ever had the bugs myself - just had to deal with them on my girls. Have I mentioned I'm bug-a-phobic? When the school nurse called and told me to pick up my youngest because of lice , I sat down and sobbed. I REALLY hate pulling bugs out of her hair, and the eggs, etc. But, with steely resolve, I went to the task. Luckily (I thought) it was just her and noone else. But, as a hyper-bug-mom, I ran the robi-comb through my hair a few times a day "just to make sure" none had crawled on me.

Surprise, surprise...on DAY FIVE after my baby came home with them, I found one on me. It was so small you would've never caught it without a Robi-comb. You would've thought someone had died the way I reacted! I'm not proud of it, but being totally honest. My best friend painstakingly went through my hair - I had hundreds of eggs and a few bugs.

It has been said by the description on Amazon and by other posters - but I'll reiterate; the Robi-comb works by ZAPPING the heck out of the buggers until they're dead, dead, DEAD. Some of the ones it'd zap are so small - it's unbelievable it catches them that small! I'd brush them out onto a white countertop and with a MAGNIFYING GLASS stare at it (to make sure it was a bug and not lint). This does NOT give you a "get-out-of-nit-picking-free" card; you've got to be diligent with that as well. I had a routine of getting my daughter one hour early. I'd first go through her hair with the Robi-comb (sectioning and doing one part at a time). Then I'd wash her hair -then go through her hair with a traditional metal comb (oh, btw, throw those useless plastic combs out!); after washing I'd put in a conditioner and comb all the knots out. The water/shampoo/conditioner doesn't kill 'em, but it does slow them down ALOT. I'd section her hair and go through it looking for nits. Afterwards I'd braid her hair so it'd be easy to get through later in the day. At least once in the afternoon I'd un-do one braid and section it off - and go through with the Robi-comb. I'd braid that back up and do the other side. At night I'd go through it again with the Robi-comb and search for eggs.

I'll have to say this again - there is NO EASY WAY to get rid of the creatures, but the Robi-comb is the most amazing tool to help you in this quest.

As for my own infestation, I felt things were crawling on me constantly (this whole thing did not seem to even bother my 6 year old!). So, the Robi-comb gives you peace of mind. I was driving to an appointment and it was a two hour drive - the entire time I was using this on my hair. Perhaps it should come with a voice that says, "Ok - you can stop now" LOL but all-in-all you can be as vigilant as you want to be.

I got rid of my lice infestation in SIX DAYS. I kept checking after that but they were no more. I'll keep doing spot checks though...the Robi-comb is that good. I am SURE that if I did not have this product I would not have caught it as early as I did and it would have been alot worse.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2009 8:26:20 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2009 10:16:41 PM PDT
Isuzan says:
No....really, I suppose they should pay me for this...LOL. Where's my royalty check?? I'm actually a real, live mom of four kids that sells here on Amazon and ebay - and has had to deal with these awful critters too many times (and hopefully that was the last). I'm EXtREMELY bug-aphobic, and this was the best thing invented since the wheel for me. To each his own - but bugs are not my thing!

Other helpful tips; make sure you put plastic zippered cases on your mattresses during this ordeal - very easy to see the critters if they do crawl around on it - and to spray and keep sanitary (while you're washing the sheets every day). If you're not vigilant - well, welcome to months of the critters. Parents at the schools will complain their kids get "reinfected"....ummm, no - you have to do much more than shampoo them once! And be vigilant - two or three days of "all clear" doesn't mean you are. You have to keep checking for at least 7-10 days to make sure all the eggs have hatched and you've caught them all. Icky, but true.

Posted on Jun 8, 2009 10:44:25 PM PDT
Isuzan says:
Almost a year after I wrote this post and I actually wore out my Robi-Comb...the poor thing. Probably should've given it a funeral, but instead just tossed it and ordered up a new one. I can't tell you how many times in the past year my girls have said those dreaded words, "Mom...my head is itchy, would you check?" and I whipped out my handy-dandy Robi-comb and checked. It's a great tool to check the heads because believe me, live lice can run faster than you can part the hair to see 'em. With this tool you can comb away and breathe a sigh of relief. I've read a TON of info on lice, and have tons of helpful hints - but these were some that popped into my mind when reading other people's reviews. BTW, nits are not lice - nits are the eggs. People use these words as if they're interchangeable - they're not.

I've read all the other reviews today and it can't be said enough that:
1) You have to do tiny sections; it helps if you buy those hair clips like they use at the salon to section hair off and do one part at at time. Really. There is NO shortcut.
2) Have I mentioned there is no shortcut to getting rid of these critters? THERE IS NO SHORT CUT. This tool is an amazing help, but you still have to pull out the nits (eggs), unless you want to just wait until they hatch, then run the comb to catch the live ones. I'd prefer to NOT let them hatch.
3) LICE CAN HOLD THEIR BREATH UNDER WATER. Yup, it's true. I cleaned then boiled my combs and left them over night in the water. When I pulled the comb out the next morning, I looked at it and realized there was a lice on the comb. I brushed it off onto the white countertop, figuring it was dead. It shook itself off and started marching away! I grabbed my Robi-Comb (yeah, I know - I could've just crushed him...) but why crush him when you can electrocute him? ZZZAAAAAP! He was done for.

We have not had any of the critters since - but summer camps are coming up, and that's always a glorious time for the little buggers (on camp cots girls!). I'm sure I'll be using it again when they return from camp - never want to go through it again. But I do know that if it does happen again, it'll be a short visit thanks to due diligence and Robi-comb.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 12:33:30 PM PDT
In truth, there is one shortcut: shave the head. Barring that, a #3 crewcut (3/8") made it much, much easier to Robi-comb my son than my daughter, who has short-medium length hair for a girl. (alas, crewcuts are not socially acceptable for girls!)

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 12:43:30 AM PST
A. Tarca says:
This is to offer a suggestion to the person that wrote about shaving your head if you want to get rid of the lice, yes, it can work with boys, not so much with girls. But, what can help with girls is using a hair straightener on their hair to literally "fry" the eggs and any lice that's not sitting directly on the girl's head when you're using the hair straightener. I think that would help a lot in getting rid of lice out of a girl's hair, believe me, I know how much of a task that can be because my 8 year old came home with them from school and neither she nor I wanted to cut her " a little past shoulder length" hair. This "theory" just came to mind while I was sitting here searching for metal combs because the ones that came in the lice treatment kit that I bought broke very easily. I'm still going to buy a comb, but I think the hair straightener will help zap a lot of the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2009 10:38:01 AM PST
Isuzan says:
The flat iron probably would help; but the ones that are born anyway and are running around get ZAAAAAPED by this tool. It's really wonderful - you must try it! :-) (sure wish I got some kick back from the company for saying so, but I don't!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 7:45:07 AM PDT
Delmar J. says:
I know this review above sounds like a manufacturer placed testimonial, but I just placed my own review (rated 5 stars) because after having used this product, I think it should be REQUIRED in all school nurses' offices as well as children's camps. I could NEVER find lice on my children using a manual inspection and thus, I let the problem fester for weeks until breaking down and purchasing the Robi-Comb. I have no relationship with this company, and so I'm just reporting from my personal experience, not because I have any vested interest in seeing this company prosper. The only drawback to the Robi-Comb is that the person's head has to be absolutely dry before using it, with no perspiration in the back of the head/neck, or else you will get a false positive read.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 11:03:32 PM PDT
Isuzan says:
Ya, you're right - I do sound like I'm a manufacturing rep. But believe me, as you know - this product sells itself!

Recently I took in two foster girls; and guess what - their sister (in another home) got lice. She's now had it for 8 weeks. We HAVE to take them to visits with her - it is not optional. One day after the visit I ran the robi-comb through the 2 year old's head after a visit very dutifully. Didn't find a thing - then when I went to part her hair I saw the little bugger RUNNING around, and picked up that comb and zapped his little heiny into oblivion. If it wasn't for the Robi-Comb I would not have been able to catch him, and all my girls (my three bio and two foster!) would have had this awful bug - and I would be washing and drying stuff until the end of time.

It's a lifesaver!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 6:21:41 AM PDT
Delmar J. says:
I will make sure that both of my children take a Robi-Comb with them to camp next time they go, with instructions to comb out their hair every morning and every night. Yes, twice a day to make sure they get every section of hair. It may not be absolutely foolprrof, but I think it will help a great deal in perhaps eliminating any lice BEFORE they can lay eggs. And no, I am not worried that they will forget to comb out their hair while at camp. I don't think they will EVER forget their experience with lice last summer and they will do almost anything now to avoid lice! As for me, having lice in the household is pure torture. I was spending an hour each day PER CHILD combing out the nits, then an hour on myself, and then several more hours each day cleaning! I had NO idea how much lice can take over your life... there really should be a support group for people whose children have lice. It's a very depressing, exhausting and lonely experience!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 11:47:53 AM PDT
Isuzan says:
I TOOOTTTALLY understand Delmar! I have been there/done that THREE times. The schools here are horrible about keeping kids out who have it (case in point: my foster child's sibling who had it EIGHT WEEKS - WE had to call her school to get her checked/sent home!). Kids have their coats/backpacks right next to each other...touching and on top. No wonder they are spread so much. Each time it gets quicker for me (getting rid of them) thanks to Robi-comb and vigorous cleaning and de-lousing. Most people skp that step - but it's needed. Every day - or twice a day! The nits initially are too tiny to see - you only see them when they grow. That's why it's important to check every day, even if you think you're clear after an infestation.

I agree - a support group would be nice - I spent my entire day for 10 days plus devoted to them....ewwwwww. Last outbreak though we had them early and didn't see any after 6 days - just kept due diligence though and got any eggs/nits, and kept using our friend the Robi-comb!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›