Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon December 2, 2013
I have a white NEX-3NL I purchased last summer that I'm happy with, so I was very excited to try the NEX-5TL, thinking it would be a substantial upgrade over the 3NL. Personally, I don't think it is.
Sony NEX-3NL/W Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Kit (White)

Not to say this is a bad camera, especially if you want Wi-Fi and NFC, which the NEX-3NL does not have. I don't own anything that uses NFC - Near Field Communication - (such as a newer model Android phone or tablet)-- and while the Wi-Fi feature is OK, I can live without it. The Wi-Fi connects easily if you use the WPS button on your router, otherwise you will be entering the password on the screen manually. But the actual file transfer from camera to PC is slow, may be partially my network's fault, but I find myself just popping out the SD card and inserting it directly into my computer to get the photos off much quicker.

Comparing the NEX-3NL with the NEX-5TL, a few points I'd like to make about each camera:

* The cameras come with the same kit lens, the SELP16-50 (16mm to 50mm).

* The separate flash with the NEX-5TL camera is a pain to attach and limits your use of the articulated screen. That is, if you're lucky enough to get it connected with that tiny screw which doesn't grab hold 1/2 the time, you can't move the screen much with the flash attached.
* The NEX-3NL has a built-in flash which can be held upwards to bounce the light. Although this flash also inhibits the use of the flip-up screen if trying to do a selfie with the flash. Still preferable to me because the flash is always there and ready, just push the flash button and it pops up. No need to attach the flash.

* The NEX-3NL is, as of my review date, $150 cheaper (but pricing can change from day-to-day on these cameras).

* The NEX-5TL has a touchscreen. I tried it for a couple days, and then disabled it in the Set-Up Menu. I hate greasy screens and it used substantially more battery power.
* The NEX-3NL does not have the touchscreen feature.
* The NEX-5TL has a better-looking screen over the NEX-3N, 921,000 vs. 461,000 pixels.

If you are wondering what the difference in model number is:
* NEX-5T is the camera, body only.
* NEX-5TL is the camera with the kit lens included.

* The older NEX-5RL is the same as the 5TL, but doesn't have NFC. Not having NFC on the NEX-5RL is the only difference I can find, and the NEX-5RL comes with a choice of lenses, either the Sony NEX5RL/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED (Black), or the Sony NEX-5RK/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lenses (Black)

* There are many Scene Settings, but no Pet Scene setting like my cheaper Sony Cyber-shot cameras have. Yes, I could probably tweak some manual settings with this camera for the same effect, but it's hit or miss when you have a fast-moving pet that won't hold still on command.

* Neither camera does well at very close-up macro shots with the kit lens. I guess you need to buy another lens for macro, or back-off the subject a bit to get "focus".

* This is a well-built line of cameras, no matter which NEX you choose. My NEX-3NL has been used constantly since I bought it last summer and I've had no problems.
review image
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?