Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, March 1, 2007
This review is from: Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny (Hardcover)
First of all, I like Suze Orman because her previous books have actually helped me go from not much money to a nice nest egg in an amazingly short time. Her advice works. She encourages you to ask yourself and your spouse the right questions--and I was really surprised at the answers sometimes. I even went on to become a financial advisor for others because of the knowledge and experience I gained from Orman's first book. And, even though I have been a financial advisor, I still bought this book. Why? For one thing, it has current information about laws and changes that will happen as far in the future as 2010. And for another, the large majority of people who came to me for advice were women. Women who had been suddenly divorced or widowed and who didn't know what to do. That is NOT the time to have to take a crash course in finances. But, that's usually what it takes.

"Women and Money" is loaded with action steps that anyone can do. This latest book is divided into 8 chapters, including "For Women Only", "Imagine What's Possible", "No Shame, No Blame", "You Are Not On Sale", "The 8 Qualities of a Wealthy Woman", "The Save Yourself Plan", "The Commitments", and "Say Your Name". These chapter titles do not indicate how much real information is given--this is not just an "ideas to get you started" book. Orman gives a month by month description of things for women to do to put themselves in a good financial position. She has boxed information entitled, "I Would Be Thrilled If You..." and then gives specific things to do. She also has an Action Plan for each month of her 5 month plan. And, there is an opportunity to open an account and save for a year, after which you would be given $100 (assuming you follow the plan--which is not hard!) She's already found a way to make you more money! (The offer is good between the dates of 2/27/07 and 3/31/08)

It's not that hard to do and it works. It really does. Thank you again, Suzy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2008, 3:53:10 AM PST
G.S. says:
First let me say that I am a female who works in the financial industry (financial adviser). I absolutely fed up with the racism and sexism in America. "Women and Money," "Blacks in Business," etc. If someone tried to make a club and called it White Men in Law, etc. they would be attacked as chauvanistic and racist. The fact is that gender is way down on the list of relevant considerations for building wealth and retirement planning. If you believe otherwise then you have been dupped by Suze. Of course, a book targeting your sex or race serves as a marketing tool to make you think you are getting customized value.

Suze is not qualified to provide financial advice. She is a marketing machine similar to many others who have made money only be claiming to be an expert, marketing themselves on TV and selling books - Robert Kiyosaki, Tony Robbins, David Bach - all con artists. The reviewer talks about the value of Suze discussing the tax changes in 2010...give me a break! That is known and even the self-proclaimed "experts" (who are also con men) on Yahoo Finance talk about this weekly. People who are spending all of their time marketing themselves and writing books telling you how to make money aren't making money except from your sales. If they really knew how to make money they would not have time to write so many books and go to TV. Think about it.

Don't waste your time with this book. You should know how to get through this very difficult stock market before anything else. Save all you want. But if you don't understand what is going on in the stock market and economy you won't have much when you retire. Already the market has sold off while most people did not expect it. Things are going to get worse and last a long time. For starters, you should read "AMERICA'S FINANCIAL APOCALYPSE: How to Profit from the Next Great Depression," I recommend the CONDENSED Edition. The long version is overwhelming for non-professionals. This book is the single most informative investment book I have read.

A valuable a book that tells you how to invest your money over the next several years rather than one that makes you feel special and good about being a female. If you don't know what to expect of the economy and stock market over the next several years you are going to get burned bad. If you ask Suze what to invest in she will tell you the same BS other clueless individuals preach-index funds. Good luck. You had better be in gold, oil, foreign currencies, and health care.

So many people write books that try to motivate you without guiding you. These books are generic and of very low value. If you do not realize this then you probably think the US is in Iraq to fight terrorism instead of for oil.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008, 12:20:09 PM PDT
klokk says:
Thank you for your insight. I am also a female CFP and believe that Suze plays on women. She is a huge marketing machine in this demographic, because most women do not know where to turn for advice. There is more value added financial guidance in publications such as the WSJ and IBD then Ms. Suze has to offer. Viewing Suze on financial networks, such as CNBC, the advice is ALWAYS the same DCA into index funds! The US Public school system needs to require classes in finance and ecomomics starting at the elementary level.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 1:14:31 PM PDT
R. Doerr says:
just posing some questions to consider ... if a woman is in financial trouble... wouldn't it be a good idea to read a book that can get her started in the right direction? Is this particular book SOOO BAD that it would possibly make someones situation worse? is there the slight chance that perhaps it really could help? "How to profit from the next great-depression" ..... if the long version is "overwhelming for non-professionals" how is a condensed version Really going to be user friendly for the average reader?
thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008, 2:49:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008, 2:55:51 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008, 12:39:01 PM PDT
It's nice that you're fed up with racism and sexism in America. We all are. However, you are looking at the world through a completely different point of view than other women who may not have had the same financial upbringing. There must have been something that drew you to work in the financial industry, whether it was your home-life, college education, or something else that changed for you along the way.

That just isn't the case for most women in America. There are generations of women who were taught "Home Economics" instead of Micro or Macroeconomics as a means of making them more frugal in the running of a home. Even today, there are millions of woman who have no idea about money, are afraid of it, or worse, consider themselves "too stupid" to know how to deal with it appropriately. You're a woman, and you're upset to see other women being pandered to in such a manner...well, sorry, but it wouldn't be a best seller if it wasn't already necessary. Too many mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, sisters, etc. are taken advantage of as the Family ATM.

You also state, "Suze is not qualified to provide financial advice."

To which I respond (with a quote from her own website), "Orman, a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional, directed the Suze Orman Financial Group from 1987-1997, served as Vice President of Investments for Prudential Bache Securities from 1983-87, and from 1980-83 was an Account Executive at Merrill Lynch."

If you held your CFP, I'm relatively sure you would have stated it, but who knows. Anyone in America can call themselves a Financial Adviser with little or no recourse. Personally, I just think most are out on a vendetta to silence her, since she steers people away from such errant frauds as variable annuities and whole life insurance which, coincidental, make the highest commissions for the people selling them and are the most misleading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008, 3:25:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2008, 3:36:40 PM PST
jumpy1 says:

Posted on Jun 7, 2009, 5:32:28 PM PDT
I recently acquired Suze Orman's "2009 Action Plan" book. Too often we look flaws in the messenger rather than wisdom in the message. With that caveat, I thoroughly enjoyed Suze's book so much I began to look for earlier works and came across your informative review. It piqued my curiosity into purchasing "Women and Money". I would recommend it not only to women but to all men frustrated with trying to make the proverbial "ends meet" ... while living from paycheck to paycheck.

Regards ...

Reggie Johnson, Author, How to Close More Customers

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2009, 6:48:55 AM PST
D. Krause says:
Christopher,
After I read G.S.'s scathing review of Suze's book, I was taken back. There seemed to be such cynicism
and negativity. I wanted to respond in a way that would encourage women to take that step and begin to
understand their responsibility to take charge of their financial future and not be discouraged by his review.
Thankfully, you have done that! Your comments are strong and refreshing in contrast to G.S.'s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013, 9:05:33 PM PST
Well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014, 12:57:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2014, 12:58:54 PM PDT
oodles says:
Do you have a book you'd recommend for someone who is just starting to learn about all of it..does not have anything invested, maybe has debt, etc..like a lot of women probably do that read Suze's books?

I understand where she is coming from to some degree. I work in a highly technical field in the IT industry, yet I find myself really intimidated by the idea of any sort of financial planning or money management beyond a savings account. I was not raised with any of it..dad never invested at all, and never had any conversations with me about money other than his not wanting to spend it. Mom let him handle it all. I suspect if he thought of it at all, he figured I'd just get married and "let my man" handle it all as it was "a man's job".

So here I am a bunch of years later, pay my bills on time, have a good income, and while no one has ever handled my money but me, I've never invested aside from a basic 401k, typically live check to check, and am realizing I'm totally unprepared for the future. So I've been reading one of her 9 steps books, which is a pretty easy read and at least gives me SOME foundation. I don't plan to stop there.

But there is a bit of a difference in men and women or at least the perception of men with money versus women. My father for one, would often make nasty remarks in my college years, how i'd turn into a rich bitch, a fat cat, etc...he was a blue collar union guy who believed women should stay home and take care of kids. I've not fit his mold for me at all. I've also surprisingly gotten quite a bit of nastiness over the years from some friends and relatives, for just being a woman with a well paid job who can live on her own without struggling too much. Snotty comments about my "being rich" or "well you can afford it". As if having a decent income is somehow a bad thing, something i've done wrong?? I don't get it. Would they say that to a man? I don't think so. Should I quit this job I worked my way up to and go work in a gas station just to make them all feel better? *snort*. And the thing is these comments are based on perceptions only from the sort of work I do, the snarkers don't actually have any idea of my actual situation. Which really isn't all that great at least for the long term. And I know it's been a problem in past relationships too. Betcha lots of women deal with this sort of thing, that men hardly do at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›