Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 3, 2009
I'm a lifelong Sammy fan, I own every album, but I was pretty disappointed this one. I originally wrote this as a one-star review and said I saw nothing redeeming about it, but a few tracks are gradually growing on me.

He has lost something on his voice (understandably at 60), and I don't feel like he has adjusted the music well to fit. His last album, albeit a far departure from his norm, at least explored some new directions. This one, I feel, is just a collection of stuff to put on an album.

If you liked the more country / beach style of "Living It Up" you'll like the tracks "When The Sun Don't Shine" and the "Dreams/Cabo" cover on this one. Those are probably my favorites, because his rock voice just isn't working for me right now - too gutteral and often flat. The acoustic VH cover would be nice, but 2 of the 4 minutes are intro dialog. That's interesting the first listen only.

"Switch on the Light" is pretty fun with Billy Gibbons on it. That one in particular is really growing on me.

The "Fight for Your Right to Party" cover is just gratuitous - the roadie doing guest vocals? May make for a fun moment at a concert (once), but to immortalize it in print is inexplicable to me (not to mention a poor choice of a cover to begin with - the Wabos have a lot more musical talent to showcase than a 1 riff rap song).

"24365" is an attempt at funk, but when you think of "Would You Do It For Free" with Bootsy Collins (on "Marching to Mars") - that's the standard and this doesn't come close. This one does feature Bootsy, but it's just forced. I can't stop comparing it to "Would You Do It For Free" which I hold as one of Sammy's best songs ever, both for the music, the message and the history behind it.

A lot of people here are talking about "Loud" and "I'm on a Roll" as the best rockers on here, but I didn't care for either of them - the music was good but I thought the lyrics were awkward - cringe-worthy in some cases. (Note to musicians everywhere, PLEASE quit rhyming with "Steve McQueen" in songs!)

The two Planet Us songs ("Peephole" and "Psycho Vertigo") are good but just out of place. I think that's my biggest problem with this album - it's an almost random collection of stuff that doesn't flow. Put those Planet Us songs on a compilation sometime, or just via I-Tunes or whatever, but they are truly from a different era and just don't fit well.

I hate to say this, because there was a long period where I ate up everything from Sammy, but the years of screaming have taken their toll. There's not a lot of successful 60 year old screamers that have worked as steadily as Sammy through the years, and there's a reason. I think he needs to consider where he needs to go vocally to keep making interesting music. It probably will be different and a big change for his fan base to adopt, but we're all aging, too. I think his fan base needs to understand if he has to adapt his music to protect his voice better - we'll get more years of music from him if he does.
8 helpful votes