Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 4, 2013
This album is unacceptable. It's worse than Risk and if you're a fan and know the band's discography, that's saying more than enough. I don't know what Dave's plans were here, unless he wants that mainstream radio air time so bad he's willing to sell his soul, but in this case not to the Devil. To the record company. You know he's still comparing himself to "his old band." And we will be the ones who suffer until he realizes that Metallica sold out in 1991 with the Black Album and for about twenty years, probably due to Bob Rock and Lars, his old bandmates have really been struggling to not regain their sound and instead enjoy millions of dollars that most thrash bands don't have. I have a feeling that word of mouth plus the first single from this record will be enough to kill it and hopefully it will be a giant wake-up call to Dave and Co that this is not the direction the fans will follow. It is so bland by Megadeth standards that only the Thin Lizzy cover stands out. Speaking of that, The Sword already covered Cold Sweat with such deadly precision that it rendered all other cover versions limp and lifeless. In fact, if I had to choose between Supercollider and Risk, I might choose Risk. This new album is nothing more than filler and background music.

The lyrics are hilariously bad and cliché and don't throw out that already tired response of "well, what about the lyrics to Mechanix?" The lyrics for Mechanix were probably written when Dave was 20 or 21. And from that drunk and drug-addled mind, could you expect much more maturity at that time in his life? Anyway, my friend had the music from Supercollider and we listened to it twice through, just to make sure we weren't jumping the gun on the "quality" of the record. Fortunately, I didn't waste money on this garbage, although I may, in the future, download Cold Sweat(but I doubt it). I've read that Dave would like to write another Rust In Peace but he can't seem to figure out how he can do it. I think most of his die-hard fans would "settle" for another Killing Is My Business or Peace Sells, but since that definitely won't ever happen, how about getting somewhere between the sound of The World Needs a Hero / Cryptic Writings / Endgame? This Day We Fight proved the band still has the chops to write some blistering metal when they put their minds to it. If you want pseudo-metal that you might hear on the radio during the day while you drive to work, listen to Metallica. Dave should take heart in that, knowing that he actually has, by his fans' estimation(and besides himself, those are the only opinions on the topic that matter) he is already better than Metallica BECAUSE for the most part, up until the release of this steaming pile, he stuck to the roots of a style of music he helped create. When I heard The System Has Failed, I thought, no this band has failed. Maybe three good songs and the rest was nonsense. But even that album is hooks and skulls over Supercollider. I was at the front of the line shouting, Dave, get back on drugs and booze, it's the only way! But, he showed us since then that he could be Mister Christian and drug-free and still lay down some crushing music. However, I must mention that if Tom Araya, who is Catholic, can still write the kind of music he does then Dave's newfound love of Buddy Christ shouldn't mean he can't play Bad Omen and The Conjuring anymore. That's silly. And, furthermore, that's probably why Slayer IS thrash. They aren't trying to make a "hit" for the radio or "trying" to win a Grammy. Or maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle. Maybe Dave just needs to pay the rent on his house and due to contractual issues he just churned out a "whatever" album just to get paid. But I can't believe that, which is all the more frustrating because that means he actually worked at making the album this bad.

There are no memorable riffs, and yes, Kingmaker DOES sound like Children of the Grave(no denying it). I've been a fan of Megadeth since 1989 and I've bought all their albums, although I sold Risk almost immediately afterwards(when I stopped laughing). Supercollider will be the first album they released in over 20 years that I didn't rush out to buy. Don't let this be the start of your 20-plus year trend of making forgettable garbage albums like Lars and James have done. I don't want to wait until you're 72 before you start shredding faces again. Slayer might very well fall apart since Hanneman died, and Metallica is nothing, even if Death Magnetic seemed like a return to something like the 1980's. That just leaves you guys. Don't let the music go down the drain like this. Again, only a small portion of the fanbase will find this album entertaining. It's not thrash. It's barely metal. It's not Megadeth.
1313 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?