Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 3, 2013
Does it worth the 25$ (with the final episode) I paid for it?
Yes, every peny. Rarelly I've felt the level of satisfaction I had after playing Asura's Wrath (Prince of Persia trilogy comes to my mind)

But... What is it Asura's Wrath? (AW from now on)
Well, as you might have read already, AW is more like an Interactive Anime. What does this mean? You can't change the course of the story, you rarelly die and the story develops even if you do nothing (most of the time)

STORY AND OTHER ELEMENTS:
The story is plain awesome. If you like anime then you're going to love AW, if you hate anime then stay away from it. I highly recommend to download the final chapter because it contains the real end. I was very satisfied with the story and the voie acting. Being it a japanese product highly influenced by anime, you can expect lots of screams and dramatic camera angles. The face gestures were perfect for every situation and they were rendered with extreme care. It almost appears as if they were trying to make a movie instead of a game.

The game is separated in episodes (a la tv show) and each episode even has its "middle part" with an intermission between parts that show you some art of the game (like japanese anime) It was a nice touch and does not interrupt the fight. They use it between scenes and never in the middle of dialogues or combat.

THE GAMEPLAY:
The gameplay was (as I said) limited. You do not do that much in the game, most of the time you're watching the dialogues and how the story develops and all of a sudden, QTE!!! (Quick time events) The game also has some parts where you can fight enemies (a la hack and slash but only with your fists, there are no weapons in the game... you need no weapons) and other times you have to press the inputs asked in the screen, might be a button or a button mashing or stick(s) movement. All the boss fights feel solid and this ones are a mix of the 3 things aforementioned: Free style combat, QTE, ButtonMash (at least most of them). No boss fight left me asking for more.

I would give the game a 4.5 stars because I have to be honest, I kinda hoped for a little more free style combat but even if it lacked a little in this field, I don't think the game deserves 4 stars so I rounded it to 5.

REPLAY VALUE
Kinda low. It comes from beating the game on a higher difficulty (only 3 levels of diff) and from the archievements. I hoped that after beating the game you would have the opportunity to watch the whole story in a single sit (like a movie) but there is no such option (makes sense in a way because the fighting parts) The REAL replay value, in my humble opinion, comes from the desire to watch the story again.

FINAL WORDS
I must admit it is hard to describe this game because I've never played something like this. Not because the gameplay is an innovation but because it is something highly focused on telling a story and it engages you. Look at it like this. It's a nice show that you can have for 20$ and that allows you to be part of it (even if it's only a little)

I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes a good story and does not mind the anime style. Do not expect a lot of gameplay like in any hack and slash but expect a satisfying experience with a game that is like nothing you've played before.

If, after reading my review, you're interested in the game; there is only one way to really know what is it about and how does it play: Download the demo, play it and WYSIWYG. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
What's this?