Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 6, 2011
I just upgraded to QB 2011 for Mac in January...because I was forced to. After working on my previous 2007 version a few times in Snow Leopard, I started getting dialogue boxes saying I needed to register my QB, which I ignored because it was already registered. What the dialogue box did not say was that all of my data would begin corrupting after a set number of openings. OK. I didn't like it. I felt connived as did an overwhelming # of reviewers when 2011 came out.

I've rationalized Intuit's strategy and moved on...until now. Less than 10 months later, no free upgrade, not even a moderately priced upgrade. No, Intuit wants another $200 in less than a year for a few more goodies, which, by the way, would be nice improvements.

I like the program! It functions well! I hate this company! BTW, are the posts prior to mine real? They sound more like company generated commercials than real customers. I'm willing to be wrong on this.

I don't doubt this version is actually really good. But I resent being herded into constantly shelling out full price...in less than a year!

5 stars for the product minus 2 stars for economic ethics.

****************UPDATE 3/11/14****************

Intuit upholds its stellar customer-gouging reputation as a money-sucking black hole with my latest email notification from them:

Intuit writes:
"Our records show that you are currently using QuickBooks for Mac 2011. As of May 31, 2014, Online Banking, Live Technical Support and other QuickBooks Services for this version will be discontinued.

Our policy is to offer support for the current version of QuickBooks, plus two versions back. If you want to use these Services or access Live Support you have two options.

Move to QuickBooks Online Plus, which offers Online Banking, Payments Services, and automatic updates, so your services will never be discontinued. QuickBooks Online also includes free phone-based support to make your transition as seamless as possible.

Or, upgrade to QuickBooks for Mac 2014 if you wish to remain with desktop software."

The remainder of the email describes how I can pay more--AGAIN--to have the honor of being served for the product I have paid for 3x over. Perhaps I don't get out much, but in 20 years I have not experienced a company that refuses to support its product the way Intuit does. My 2011 version works just fine (except for the services they have withdrawn) and the later versions (incl. 2014) are minimally improved and, therefore, haven't earned my business.

I get that Intuit's ultimate strategy is to have all their users pay monthly, ad infinitum, for their web-based application. I get that the new wave of software is destined for the cloud, like Adobe is doing with Photoshop, et al. The least they can do is stand behind what they've sold till we choose to trash our desktop apps. Frankly, who wants their finances floating in a dubiously secured cloud anyway--by a company that puts dollars before loyalty, no less? (You don't need a calculator to do that math.)

It's astonishing how Intuit continues to survive year in and year out with such a high degree of customer disdain. Perhaps there are few alternatives to Quickbooks because Intuit buys them out as they crop up. Ooops...just spilled my conspiracy Kool-Aid into my keyb*#;i

I'm deleting another star for my frustration and impending sense that I'll ultimately pay this preposterous piper again.

UNLESS, someone knows of a competent, user-friendly, Mac-based accounting software.
Really...help...Help...HELP!!!

There...I almost feel better--except I still own this software.
237 people found this helpful
|3636 comments|Report abuse| Permalink
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Magikchef,
I apologize for the experience you had running QuickBooks 2007 for Mac on Snow Leopard. As you note, there were a number of compatibility issues between QuickBooks 2007 and Snow Leopard, including the fact that registration didn't work on the new operating system. But we haven't seen data corruption; this could be a one-off problem with your file. If you haven't resolved the problems with your file, let me know, I can help.

I understand you're frustrated with the frequency and price of upgrades. We're constantly improving our products based on customer feedback and like to get new features out as fast as possible to make small businesses more productive. Many customers we talk to appreciate the improvements and choose to upgrade. Also, we offer a discounted price for customers upgrading from a prior version. That said, you can always choose to hold off until the next release.

Best,