Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 26, 2010
As a fan (reader? blogee?) of Flotsam blog, I knew I would love her writing. However, I was shocked by HOW MUCH I LOVED HER WRITING. I mean, read-out-loud-to-people-around-me LOVE. Alexa has such a way with words and she is so funny and irreverent without being crass. As the protagonist of this tale, she is heroic. As the writer of this tale, she is honest. She tells the good, the bad, and the ugly about herself and one can only applaud (and envy) her for that. I can imagine that writing this was equally scary and cathartic.

It's a story that needs told. As the sister of someone dipping her toe (or opening her cervix) to the world of infertility, this story was of particular interest to me. She's alternately whip-smart (her medical knowledge is vast) and freshly-born kitten vulnerable. She's scared, hopeful, nervous, neurotic, strong, and genuine. She's witty and dry (wry?). She uses humor as both a defense mechanism and a life preserver. While I recognize the humor (and profanity) may strike sensitive readers as vulgar, it's clearly a big part of who she is. Again with the honestly, that Alexa. And, to be honest, I would much rather have a drink (make it a Sidecar!) with Alexa than an easy-to-offend flower who wants the sometimes gruesome story of a NICU survivor wrapped up in a blanket woven of the eyelashes of a thousand baby lambs.

As an atheist, she bristles at the idea that there is a greater good to come from her son Ames' "demise" and I share her religious (non) beliefs and have never read such a gracious and commonsense (albeit brief -- a few paragraphs here and there) defense of atheism -- and I took many graduate-level religion classes! However, I hope it gives her some comfort to know that his story is being told -- along with his sister's -- to help women.

She hates when mothers say, "Oh, I could never done have done what you did." She's right -- yes, you could. That's what a mother does. She's her child's first and fiercest advocate. That's what Alexa is. Simone is lucky to her -- and lucky to have this glorious and gutsy tale of how she came to be. We're all lukcy to have this tale shared with us.

That's what this is, ultimately, brilliant and witty writing aside: a mother's love letter to her child(ren). Every sentence is a gift in this funny, touching, generous tale.
4 helpful votes