Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by All is Bright Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon February 9, 2011
I had to cajole my daughter (age 4) into reading this book with me. It's really not her type since it's not about monsters and it doesn't have bright, bold, Pixar-esque pictures. But I had a sense if I could get her attention, she'd end up liking it. I was right.

Old Bear and Little Cub love each other with all their hearts. Old Bear takes care of Little Cub, but Little Cub doesn't always appreciate Old Bear's solicitude. But a good hard stare does the trick. The two bears enjoy a winter's day together, and then Old Bear ends up with a cold. Now it's Little Cub's turn to take care of Old Bear which, naturally, Old Bear doesn't always take kindly too. But a good hard stare does the trick. Old Bear and Little Cub end up snuggled in bed and both feel better.

"Old Bear loved his Little Cub with all his heart. Little Cub loved Old Bear with all his heart".

This book is sweet and touching in the love that the two bears share for each other, as well as the stubbornness they both show when they have to do something for their own good. It's a sentiment that every parent and child can understand. At the beginning of the book when Old Bear gives Little Cub a good hard stare, my daughter was giving me rather dirty looks, but at the end when it's Little Cub giving Old Bear a good long stare, my daughter's looks turned smugly triumphant. A good reminder that sometimes we parents need to practice what we preach and take our own medicine.
What's this?